Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 07:30:10 -0500

950 
ATHW40 PHFO 021230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU SEP 02 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 02 2010

LIGHT TO MODERATE TRADE WINDS PREVAIL OVER THE ISLANDS AND 
SURROUNDING WATERS EARLY THIS MORNING...WITH LOW CLOUDS IN GREATER 
CONCENTRATION AS COMPARED TO THIS TIME LAST NIGHT. IN ADDITION...
THE LOW LEVEL FLOW...AS DEDUCED FROM LOW CLOUD MOTIONS...HAS BACKED 
A LITTLE TOWARD THE NORTHEAST OVER THE SAME TIME PERIOD. 

THE ISLAND OF KAUAI IS ON THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF A BLOCK OF OVERCAST 
TO BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ AND CUMULUS /CU/...THAT EXTEND OVER 
400 MILES TO THE NORTHEAST. LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF THE OTHER ISLANDS 
ARE NOT AS THICK AS THEY ARE TO THE NORTHEAST OF KAUAI...AND CAN 
BEST BE DESCRIBED AS BEING SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN IN COVERAGE. 
RADAR IS CURRENTLY DETECTING SCATTERED SHOWERS FALLING FROM THE 
SHOWERY CU OVER THE ISLANDS AND ADJACENT WATERS...WITH SHOWERS MOST 
ACTIVE OVER KAUAI AND OAHU DURING THE PAST COUPLE OF HOURS. SHOWER 
INTENSITY IS PRIMARILY MODERATE...BUT SMALL CORES OF HEAVY RAIN ARE 
EMBEDDED. LOW CLOUDS AND SHOWERS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AT 
SPEEDS NEAR 15 MPH. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A HIGH ALOFT CENTERED SOUTHWEST OF THE 
ISLANDS...HAVING MOVED SLOWLY WEST OVER THE PAST 24 HOURS. THE FLOW 
ALOFT OVER THE ISLANDS IS FROM THE NORTHWEST...WITH A TROUGH ALOFT 
EXTENDING TOWARD THE ISLANDS FROM A WEAKLY DEFINED LOW FAR 
NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS NEAR 30N142W. THE TROUGH AXIS EXTENDS 
ALONG A LINE FROM THE LOW TO 26N148W TO NEAR 22N153W...AND APPEARS 
TO HAVE SHARPENED A LITTLE OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS OR SO...AS 
SHORTWAVE TROUGH ALOFT HAS MOVED SOUTHEAST INTO THE LONGWAVE TROUGH 
AXIS.  

ONLY ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS EXIST WITHIN THE NEAR EQUATORIAL TRADE 
WIND CONVERGENCE ZONE WELL SOUTHEAST THROUGH SOUTHWEST OF THE 
ISLANDS...PRIMARILY FROM 7N TO 11N BETWEEN 156W AND 179W...AND LACK 
SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION.

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.