Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 19:35:06 -0500

078 
ATHW40 PHFO 040035
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT SEP 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 04 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH SHARPENING OVER THE 
REGION BETWEEN THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLAND CHAIN AND 
800 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. ANOTHER TROUGH IS 
CENTERED NORTH OF 30N NEAR 168W BUT THE TROUGH AXIS STRETCHES 
SOUTHWESTWARD ACROSS THE FAR NORTHWESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
CONNECTING TO AN UPPER LOW NEAR 21N175W. BETWEEN THESE TROUGHS...A 
SHARP NORTH TO SOUTH ORIENTED UPPER LEVEL RIDGE IS POSITIONED ALONG 
162W...OR ABOUT 200 MILES WEST OF KAUAI.

DEEP MOIST CONVECTION IS LIMITED TO THE SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE 
AREA...SOUTH OF 12N...NEAR THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE WHICH 
IS JUST SOUTH OF 10N. INFRARED IMAGERY SHOWS A FEW THUNDERSTORMS 
WITH TOPS ABOVE 40000 FEET NEAR 10N142W AND BETWEEN 160W AND THE 
DATELINE BETWEEN 10N TO 12N. ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE AREA...SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN LOW TOPPED STRATOCUMULUS DOMINATES. THE HIGHEST 
CONCENTRATION OF THESE CLOUDS IS NORTH OF 20N BETWEEN 165W AND 
140W...AND INCLUDES THE WATERS SURROUNDING THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS.  

OVER THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVERS THE 
LOWER SLOPES BELOW 8000 FEET FROM THE WAIKOLOA VILLAGE SOUTH TO 
SOUTH POINT AND ALONG THE KAU DISTRICT FROM SOUTH POINT TO NEAR 
VOLCANO. ANOTHER DECK OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS STRETCHES FROM THE PUNA 
DISTRICT ACROSS HILO AND ALONG THE WINDWARD LOWER SLOPES NORTHWARD 
TO WAIPIO VALLEY. 

OVER THE SMALL ISLANDS...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE SKIRTING 
HALEAKALA/S SLOPES ON ALL SIDES...AND THESE ARE LOCALLY DRIFTING OFF 
THE LEEWARD COAST REACHING KAHOOLAWE. A SMALL PATCH OF LOW CLOUDS IS 
FOUND OVER THE MOUNTAINOUS EASTERN PORTION OF MOLOKAI. MORE 
EXTENSIVE LOW CLOUDS COVERS THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU AS WELL AS 
THE WAIANAE MOUNTAINS AND COAST. THESE CLOUDS ARE ALSO DRIFTING OVER 
THE IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT LEEWARD OAHU COASTAL WATERS. SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS ARE HANGING ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF KAUAI AND OVER THE 
LEEWARD COAST AND WATERS...REACHING NIIHAU AS WELL. 

THE CLOUD TOPS OVER THE STATE ARE ESTIMATED BY SATELLITE TO BE 
BETWEEN 8000 AND 10000 FEET...WITH CLOUD MOVEMENT TO THE WEST AT 
ABOUT 20 MPH.

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.