Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 00:07:51 -0500

969 
ATHW40 PHFO 040507
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT SEP 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 04 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE CENTERED NEAR 22N 176W. ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI 
DEVELOPED FROM THE MARINE STRATOCUMULI PASSING UNDER THE CENTER OF 
THE LOW. THIN LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE PARTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES NEAR 24N 173W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN ABOUT 12N AND 06N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES 
FROM 16N TO 02N.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI GATHERING INTO LOOSE CLUMPS OF 
VARIOUS SIZES...THOUGH INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI ALSO WERE COMMON. THE 
GREATEST AREAL COVERAGE OCCURRED TO THE NORTHEAST...AND TO THE SOUTH 
CLOCKWISE THROUGH NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE 
CLOUDS GENERALLY MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST TO WEST AT 15 TO 20 
MILES AN HOUR...AND ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...THOUGH A 
FEW TALLER CUMULI APPROACHED 12000 FEET.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING THE 
NORTH THROUGH EAST...ESPECIALLY IN ONE LARGE MASS ALONG THE 
NORTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND MAUI COUNTY. LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS INLAND ALSO WERE IMPORTANT... 
ESPECIALLY OVER LOWER TO MIDDLE WEST SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AND THE BIG 
ISLAND. AREAS WITH THE LEAST CLOUD COVER WERE LIMITED MAINLY TO 
SOUTHWEST KAUAI...CENTRAL OAHU...THE IMMEDIATE SOUTH THROUGH WEST 
COAST OF OAHU...THE WEST HALF OF MOLOKAI...COASTAL LANAI...SOUTH 
SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...THE COAST OF SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICT ON 
THE BIG ISLAND...THE IMMEDIATE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
AND THE SUMMITS OF THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO 
HEIGHTS OF 7000 TO 9000 FEET.

RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS ALONG THE 
NORTHEAST COAST OF MAUI...AND WELL OFFSHORE TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST IN 
THE LEE WAKES OF KAUAI...OAHU...AND MAUI COUNTY. RADAR DATA SHOWED 
ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.