Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:33:43 -0500

208 
ATHW40 PHFO 081833
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED SEP 08 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 08 2010

A FAIRLY TYPICAL DISTRIBUTION OF LOW CLOUDS IS OBSERVED OVER THE 
ISLANDS THIS MORNING...GIVEN THAT LIGHT TO MODERATE TRADE WINDS 
PREVAIL IN A STABLE ATMOSPHERE. INITIAL VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGES 
REVEAL SCATTERED CUMULUS /CU/ BANKED UP ALONG WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE 
ISLANDS...WITH ONLY SMALL ISOLATED SHOWERS FALLING FROM THE CU 
MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS FROM THE EAST. 

ON KAUAI...SCATTERED CU ARE ALONG THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF MOUNT 
WAIALEALE...BUT THE LEEWARD HALF OF THE ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY...AS 
ARE WINDWARD COASTAL AREAS. CU ARE BROKEN IN COVERAGE OVER OAHU/S 
KOOLAU RANGE...AND ASIDE FROM A SMALL AREA OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
STABLE STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ OVER THE LEEWARD COAST FROM NANAKULI TO 
MAKAHA...THE REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND IS CLOUD FREE. SMALL PATCHES OF 
BROKEN CU ARE ALONG THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE WEST MAUI 
MOUNTAINS...WITH SIMILAR SC AND CU COVERAGE OVER THE EASTERN LOWER 
SLOPES OF HALEAKALA...AND THE EXTREME EASTERN TIP OF MOLOKAI. THE 
REMAINDER OF MAUI COUNTY IS UNDER NEARLY CLEAR SKIES...ALTHOUGH A 
SMALL AREA OF THIN...BUT BROKEN TO OVERCAST IN COVERAGE...SC IS 
LOCATED OVER WINDWARD WATERS JUST NORTH OF WINDWARD MAUI. THE 
BIG ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING...WITH JUST A SMALL PATCH OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES ABOVE HILO 
TOWN. THIS AREA OF STABLE LOW CLOUD HAS SHRUNK IN SIZE SINCE SUNRISE 
THIS MORNING. 

ASIDE FROM THE AREA OF BROKEN SC OVER MAUI WINDWARD WATERS...NEAR 
SHORE WATERS OF THE ISLANDS CONTAIN FEW TO SCATTERED CU. LOW CLOUD 
COVERAGE INCREASES SOMEWHAT A LITTLE FURTHER UPSTREAM TO THE EAST OF 
THE ISLANDS...WITH PATCHES OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CU AND SC LOCATED 
ABOUT 50 TO 150 MILES NORTHEAST OF KAUAI AND OAHU...30 TO 140 MILES 
NORTHEAST OF MAUI...AND ABOUT 50 TO 200 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. LOW CLOUD MOTION NEAR THE ISLANDS IS TOWARD THE WEST AT 
SPEEDS BETWEEN 17 AND 20 MPH. 

HIGH CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN OVER WATERS WELL SOUTHWEST OF 
THE ISLANDS...AND ARE ASSOCIATED WITH CLOSED LOW ALOFT ABOUT 975 
MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...NEAR 26N175W. SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED NEAR THE CORE OF THE LOW...FROM 23N TO 29N 
BETWEEN 172W AND 177W. A TROUGH ALOFT THAT EXTENDS SOUTH FROM THE 
LOW IS LOCATED ALONG A LINE FROM THE LOW TO 12N 175W...WITH 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS NEAR THE BASE OF THE TROUGH...FROM 07N TO 
12N BETWEEN 170W AND 178W. THE HIGH CLOUDS TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE 
ISLANDS ARE DEVELOPING WITHIN THE SOUTHWEST FLOW ALOFT ASSOCIATED 
WITH THE TROUGH ALOFT. 

A PAIR OF WEAK DISTURBANCES LOCATED ABOUT 600 TO 800 MILES SOUTH 
AND SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE TRIGGERING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS...BUT LACK SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION...ALTHOUGH UPPER 
LEVEL WINDS APPEAR TO BE MARGINALLY CONDUCIVE FOR FURTHER 
DEVELOPMENT.

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.