Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 19:31:02 -0500

212 
ATHW40 PHFO 090030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU SEP 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 09 2010

A FAIRLY TYPICAL DISTRIBUTION OF LOW CLOUDS CONTINUES TO BE 
OBSERVED OVER THE ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON...GIVEN THAT LIGHT TO 
MODERATE TRADE WINDS PREVAIL IN A STABLE ATMOSPHERE. HAVING SAID 
THAT...CLOUD COVER HAS GENERALLY INCREASED OVER THE ISLANDS SINCE 
THIS MORNING. 

KAUAI HAS BROKEN CUMULUS ELEMENTS OVER INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE  
ISLAND...AND ALONG THE NORTHWESTERN COASTAL AREAS...WITH WISPS OF 
CIRRUS CLOUDS ALSO MOVING OVER THE ISLAND FROM THE SOUTHWEST. 
COASTAL AREAS ALONG THE EAST...SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST SHORES ARE MOSTLY 
SUNNY ASIDE FROM THE HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS. ALTHOUGH SKIES OVER NIIHAU 
CONTINUE TO BE MOSTLY SUNNY...AN AREA OF BROKEN CU EXTENDS UP TO 50 
MILES TO WEST AND SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLAND. THIN CIRRUS ELEMENTS ARE 
ALSO IN THE VICINITY OF OAHU...WITH BROKEN CU OVER THE RIDGE OF THE 
KOOLAU RANGE AND THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES...WITH PRIMARILY 
SCATTERED CU OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND. A PATCH OF BROKEN CU 
IS OVER THE NEAR SHORE WATERS NORTH OF MAUI...AND EAST OF MOLOKAI... 
AND IS CONTRIBUTING TO THE BROKEN CU THAT ALREADY EXISTS OVER 
EASTERN MOLOKAI...THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND 
THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. BROKEN CU ARE ALSO OVER THE 
SOUTHWESTERN LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA...AND EXTEND TO THE SOUTHWEST 
OVER THE NEAR SHORE WATERS AND KAHOOLAWE. THE REMAINDER OF MAUI 
COUNTY...ASIDE FROM PATCHES OF BROKEN CU OVER INTERIOR AND SOUTHERN 
LANAI...IS UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES THIS AFTERNOON. ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...THE KONA AND KAU LOWER SLOPES ARE BLANKETED IN BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ AND CU...WITH SCATTERED CU PREVAILING 
OVER THE HILO AND HAMAKUA DISTRICTS. THE REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND IS 
UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES.

FEW TO SCATTERED CU EXIST UPSTREAM TO THE EAST OF KAUAI AND 
OAHU...WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED PATCH OF BROKEN CU OVER WINDWARD 
WATERS IN MAUI COUNTY. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CU AND SC EXTEND UP TO 80 
MILES NORTHEAST FROM THE BIG ISLAND/S HAMAKUA COAST...BUT THE 
REMAINDER OF THE NEAR SHORE WATERS ARE MOSTLY SUNNY. LOW CLOUD 
MOTION NEAR THE ISLANDS IS TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST AT SPEEDS 
BETWEEN 17 AND 20 MPH.  

BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS OVER 
WATERS WELL SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS...AND ARE ASSOCIATED WITH 
NEARLY STATIONARY CLOSED LOW ALOFT ABOUT 975 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI...NEAR 26N 175W. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED NEAR THE 
CORE OF THE LOW...FROM 23N TO 28N BETWEEN 173W AND 178W...AND THE 
CIRRUS CLOUDS COVER THE AREA FROM 12N TO 23N BETWEEN 161W AND 174W. 
A TROUGH ALOFT EXTENDS SOUTHWARD FROM THE LOW...AND IS LOCATED ALONG 
A LINE FROM THE LOW TO 14N 175W. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE LOCATED 
NEAR THE BASE OF THE TROUGH...FROM 05N TO 13N BETWEEN 170W AND 180. 
THE NORTHEASTERN EDGE OF THE MASS OF HIGH CLOUDS IS NEAR KAUAI AND 
OAHU...WITH THE CIRRUS DEVELOPING WITHIN THE SOUTHWEST FLOW 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE TROUGH ALOFT. 

A PAIR OF WEAK DISTURBANCES LOCATED ABOUT 550 TO 800 MILES SOUTH 
AND SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE TRIGGERING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS...BUT LACK SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION...ALTHOUGH UPPER 
LEVEL WINDS APPEAR TO BE MARGINALLY CONDUCIVE FOR FURTHER 
DEVELOPMENT.

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.