Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 00:18:53 -0500

402 
ATHW40 PHFO 090518
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU SEP 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 09 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR 24N176W 
WHICH IS NEARLY STATIONARY. A LARGE AREA OF SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
IS WITHIN 250 MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE LOW AND IS AFFECTING THE FAR 
NORTHWESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLAND CHAIN FROM MIDWAY ATOLL TO NEAR 
LAYSAN. HIGHEST CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 40000 FEET IN THIS AREA. AN 
UPPER LEVEL JET TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF THE UPPER LOW IS 
SPREADING COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE IN THE FORM OF 
LAYERED CIRRUS FROM THE TROPICAL CONVERGENCE AREA NEAR 10N WEST OF 
170W ALL THE WAY NORTH ACROSS JOHNSON ISLAND AND ACROSS THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS BETWEEN KAUAI AND FRENCH FRIGATE SHOALS. AN UPPER 
RIDGE APPEARS TO DOMINATE THE AREA FROM THE EASTERN MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS EAST TO 140W. 

A PAIR OF WEAK DISTURBANCES LOCATED ABOUT 550 TO 800 MILES SOUTH 
AND SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE TRIGGERING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS OVER 50000 FEET...AND EXTENDING WEST ALONG 
10N FROM 160W TO THE DATELINE. ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE 
REGION...EXTENSIVE LOW TOPPED STRATOCUMULUS COVERS THE AREA FROM 400 
TO 1000 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH MORE 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUD DECKS WITHIN 400 MILES OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS.

MORE SPECIFICALLY ACROSS THE MAIN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVERS 
LEEWARD BIG ISLAND COAST AND LOWER SLOPES FROM WAIKOLOA VILLAGE 
SOUTH TO SOUTH POINT...AND ON THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND 
FROM PUNA DISTRICT ACROSS HILO AND NORTH TO UPOLU POINT. THESE 
CLOUDS EXTEND ACROSS THE WINDWARD BIG ISLAND WATERS AND INTO THE 
SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE 
FOUND ON THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AND ON THE 
NORTH SIDE OF MOLOKAI. MORE EXTENSIVE LOW CLOUDS APPEARS TO BE OVER 
THE ISLAND OF KAUAI...ALTHOUGH HIGH CLOUDS ARE OBSCURING THE 
SATELLITE VIEW OF THE LOWER CLOUD DECKS. CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 9000 
FEET AND ARE MOVING SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.