Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 07:23:37 -0500

306 
ATHW40 PHFO 091223
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU SEP 09 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 09 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR 
25N178W...MOVING WEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. A LARGE AREA OF SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS IS WITHIN 300 MILES EITHER SIDE OF THE LOW AND IS 
AFFECTING THE FAR NORTHWESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLAND CHAIN FROM MIDWAY 
ATOLL TO NEAR LAYSAN. HIGHEST CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 45000 FEET IN THIS 
AREA. AN UPPER LEVEL JET TO THE SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OF THE UPPER LOW 
IS SPREADING COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE IN THE FORM OF 
LAYERED CIRRUS FROM THE TROPICAL CONVERGENCE AREA NEAR 10N BETWEEN 
TO DATELINE AND 160W TO THE NORTHEAST ACROSS JOHNSON ISLAND AND 
ACROSS THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS BETWEEN KAUAI AND FRENCH FRIGATE SHOALS. 
AN UPPER RIDGE APPEARS TO DOMINATE THE AREA FROM THE EASTERN MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS EAST TO 140W. 

A WEAK DISTURBANCE LOCATED ABOUT 750 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND IS TRIGGERING AN AREA OF ISOLATED TO SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
WITH TOPS OVER 50000 FEET. ISOLATED TO SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE 
ALSO FOUND NEAR THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE FROM ABOUT 158W 
EXTENDING WESTWARD TO THE DATELINE AND REACHING AS FAR NORTH AS 
13N. ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC REGION...EXTENSIVE BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST LOW TOPPED STRATOCUMULUS COVERS THE AREA FROM 300 TO 
1000 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH MORE 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUD DECKS WITHIN 300 MILES OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

SPECIFICALLY ACROSS THE MAIN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER 
THE LEEWARD BIG ISLAND COAST FROM KEAHOLE POINT SOUTHWARD ACROSS 
THE SOUTH KONA DISTRICT...AND ON THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND 
FROM PUNA DISTRICT ACROSS HILO AND NORTH TO UPOLU POINT. THESE 
CLOUDS EXTEND ACROSS THE WINDWARD BIG ISLAND WATERS AND INTO THE 
EASTERN PORTION OF THE ALENUIHAHA CHANNEL. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE 
FOUND ON THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AND ON THE 
NORTHEAST SIDE OF MOLOKAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE 
KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU AND THESE EXTEND ACROSS CENTRAL OAHU INTO 
THE NORTH SLOPES OF THE WAIANAE RANGE. MORE EXTENSIVE LOW CLOUDS 
APPEARS TO BE OVER THE ISLAND OF KAUAI...ALTHOUGH HIGH CLOUDS ARE 
OBSCURING THE SATELLITE VIEW OF THE LOWER CLOUD DECKS. CLOUD TOPS 
ARE NEAR 9000 FEET AND ARE MOVING SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.