Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:30:08 -0500

651 
ATHW40 PHFO 100030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI SEP 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 10 2010

HIGH PRESSURE FAR NORTH OF THE AREA CONTINUES TO PRODUCE TRADE 
WINDS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC. TRADE WINDS ARE PUSHING LOW CLOUDS 
FROM EAST TO WEST AT 10 TO 20 MPH. FROM 140 TO 160W...THE MAJORITY 
OF LOW CLOUDS ARE BROKEN STRATUS AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ ...WHILE 
WEST OF 160W THE LOW CLOUDS TRANSITION TO SCATTERED SC AND CUMULUS. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A 500-MILE WIDE BAND OF SCATTERED MID AND 
UPPER LEVEL CIRRUS LOCATED OVER THE WESTERN PART OF THE STATE TO 
300 MILES WEST OF KAUAI. THIS BAND EMANATES OUT OF THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE /ITCZ/ IN THE DEEP TROPICS AND THE CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING NE BETWEEN 50 AND 90 MPH. THE STRONGER UPPER LEVEL WINDS AND 
CLOUDS ARE BEING PRODUCED BY AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR 25N 
178W...AND ASSOCIATED UPPER TROUGH THAT EXTENDS NE OUT OF THE LOW 
INTO THE NORTH PACIFIC.

A WEAK DISTURBANCE LOCATED ABOUT 700 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND IS TRIGGERING AN AREA OF ISOLATED TO SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS NEAR 50000 FEET. ISOLATED TO SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO FOUND WITHIN THE ITCZ FROM 165W TO POINTS 
WEST. 

OVER THE ISLANDS...TRADE WINDS HAVE BUILT UP LOW CLOUDS OVER 
WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN AREAS. LEEWARD LOCATIONS REMAIN MOSTLY CLEAR 
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AND THE BIG 
ISLANDS ISLANDS. THESE LEEWARD SLOPES HAVE OVERCAST SKIES DUE TO 
AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES. CLOUDS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS ARE SCATTERED 
TO BROKEN ON THE WINDWARD SIDE...AND MOSTLY CLEAR TO SCATTERED ON 
THE LEEWARD SIDE. 

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.