Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 00:49:39 -0500

213 
ATHW40 PHFO 110549
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0540 UTC SAT SEP 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 11 2010

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS NEARLY STATIONARY AROUND 700 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI THIS EVENING. THE TROUGH IS CONNECTED TO AN UPPER 
LOWS LOCATED AT 38N 150W. THIS PUT THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS UNDER 
A SOUTHWESTERLY WIND FLOW...WHICH ALSO HAPPEN TO CONTAIN CIRRUS 
CLOUDS. THE CIRRUS IS AFFECTING MAINLY KAUAI COUNTY. THE CIRRUS IS
DEBRIS FROM THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY OCCURRING AROUND THE MARSHALL 
ISLANDS LOCATED 1700 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI.

AS FOR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LOW CLOUD COVERAGE IS BASICALLY 
SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN. THE BROKEN CONDITION PERTAINS TO MAINLY 
KAUAI COUNTY AND THE NORTH AND EAST FACING SIDES OF THE BIG ISLAND. 
THE CLOUDS OVER KAUAI COUNTY ARE DEPARTING THE AREA...AND IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH AN AREA OF CLOUDS AND SHOWERS THAT AFFECTED OAHU 
THIS MORNING. 

THE CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE FROM THE 
TAIL END OF A NORTH TO SOUTH ORIENTED BAND OF CLOUDS. THE BAND 
SETTLED ONSHORE EARLIER THIS AFTERNOON AND IS MAKING ITS WAY 
WESTWARD TOWARD MAUI AT 12 MPH. THE BAND EXTENDS NORTHWARD FOR 250 
MILES FROM THE BIG ISLAND...AND HAS BECOME LESS ORGANIZED DURING THE 
PAST FEW HOURS. SOME OF THE FRACTURED ELEMENTS HAVE SURGED AHEAD OF 
THE BAND INTO THE HANA AREA OF MAUI WITH SOME CLOUDS AND LIGHT 
SHOWERS. WEATHER RADAR NOT ONLY CONFIRMS THIS BUT IS ONLY PICKING UP 
SPOTTY LIGHT SHOWERS ELSEWHERE WITH THIS BAND. 

SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS ANOTHER AREA OF SHOWER BEARING CLOUDS A FEW 
MILES FOLLOWING THIS BAND.

ON THE OTHER HAND...THE CLOUD COVER OVER THE KONA SIDE OF THE BIG 
ISLAND IS MAINLY SCATTERED WHILE MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES PREVAILED ACROSS 
OAHU MOLOKAI LANAI AND WEST MAUI.

DEEP CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE DISTURBED AREA COLLAPSED THIS 
AFTERNOON WHILE PASSING SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. ONLY AN ISOLATED 
MODERATE THUNDERSTORM IS NOTED THIS PAST HOUR NEAR 09N158.8W OR 715 
MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH POINT BIG ISLAND. THE LARGEST 
CONCENTRATION OF MODERATE THUNDERSTORMS IS WITHIN 80 MILES EITHER 
SIDE OF A LINE FROM 07N163W TO 11N169W TO 09N178W.

$$
LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.