Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 07:53:42 -0500

953 
ATHW40 PHFO 111253
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SAT SEP 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 11 2010

TWO AREAS OF LOW CLOUDS WITH ONLY A SMALL SEPARATION FROM ONE 
ANOTHER...CONTINUE TO MOVE WESTWARD ACROSS THE ISLAND/S WINDWARD 
WATERS. 

THE FIRST AREA IS BROKEN IN COVERAGE WITH ITS LEADING EDGE IN THE 
KAUAI CHANNEL. IN ITS WAKE...THE AREA HAS BROUGHT BROKEN CONDITIONS 
TO PRIMARILY THE WINDWARD SECTION OF OAHU. THE SECOND AREA IS MORE 
OVERCAST IN COVERAGE WITH ITS LEADING EDGE NOW REACHING THE WINDWARD 
SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND.
 
THE LOW CLOUDS...MADE UP OF OF MAINLY STABLE STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ IS 
THE REASON WHY FOR THE LACK OF SHOWERS ON WEATHER RADAR. WEATHER 
RADAR IS ONLY DETECTING SPOTTY LIGHT SHOWERS. THE LOW CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING WEST...WITH THE TRADE WINDS...OF 15 TO 20 MPH. THE INITIAL 
AREA OF LOW CLOUDS HAS ALSO LEFT BEHIND SOME LOCAL BROKEN COVERAGE 
IN THE LEEWARD WATERS OF OAHU...MOLOKAI AND THE KONA WATERS. SKIES 
ARE MOSTLY CLEAR OVER THE THE REMAINING AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND. 

THE SKIES AROUND KAUAI COUNTY IS MOSTLY CLEAR NOW THAT AN AREA OF 
HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS HAS PASSED NORTH OF THE ISLAND. AS NOTED 
ABOVE HOWEVER...SOME LOW CLOUDS ARE ADVANCING TOWARD KAUAI.

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WITH A COUPLE OF POSSIBLE LOWS...APPEARS TO 
HAVE EASED SLIGHTLY SOUTH AND EAST DURING THE COURSE OF THE EVENING.
ONE APPARENT LOW IS 700 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI NEAR 31N166W. A 
TROUGH EXTENDS SOUTHWESTWARD FROM THIS LOW TO 27N177W. ANOTHER 
TROUGH EXTENDS NORTHEASTWARD TO ANOTHER LOW AT 35N157W. THE AREA TO 
THE SOUTH AND EAST OF THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH AND LOWS...INCLUDING 
THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...IS A SUB TROPICAL JET STREAM WITH A 
SOUTHWESTERLY WIND FLOW. IT IS TRANSPORTING HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE IN 
THE FORM OF CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM DEBRIS OF THUNDERSTORMS BETWEEN WAKE 
ISLAND AND KWAJALEIN ATOLL...LOCATED 1700 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF 
KAUAI. SATELLITE ANIMATION SHOWS MORE CIRRUS...OF THE THINNER 
VARIETY...APPROACHING KAUAI FROM THE SOUTH. 

DEEP CONVECTION ASSOCIATED WITH THE DISTURBED AREA SOME 750 MILES 
SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND HAS JUST ABOUT TOTALLY COLLAPSED.
ISOLATED BUT STRONG CONVECTION ARE OCCURRING BETWEEN 800 AND 1300 
MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI BETWEEN 13N AND 08N FROM 168W TO 171W.

$$
LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.