Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:49:43 -0500

035 
ATHW40 PHFO 120549
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0540 UTC SUN SEP 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 11 2010

A SOUTHWESTERLY WIND FLOW AT 30000 FEET IS CARRYING A RIBBON OF 
CIRRUS CLOUDS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS ORIGINATE 
FROM THUNDERSTORMS IN THE WAKE ISLAND...MARSHALL ISLANDS AREA 
LOCATED AROUND 2000 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE RIBBON OF 
CIRRUS IS ABOUT 450 MILES WIDE WITH THE THICKEST PART COVERING MOST 
OF KAUAI COUNTY. THIS RIBBON OF CIRRUS ALSO MARK THE POSITION OF 
THE SUB TROPICAL JET STREAM WHICH CONTAIN WINDS OF 55 TO 75 MPH. THE 
CIRRUS EXTENDS TO 800 MILES TO THE NORTHEAST OF KAUAI...TO 30N 147W 
BEFORE TURNING EAST AND DISSIPATING.

THE CIRRUS IS THIN ENOUGH TO VIEW THE LOW LEVEL CLOUDS SITUATION 
EAST OF KAUAI. AT 7 PM HST...SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS RELATIVELY 
SPARSE COVERAGE. THERE ARE LOCALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS PRESENT ACROSS 
THE SLOPES AND COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM UPOLU TO THE PUNA 
DISTRICT...THE UPPER KAU SLOPES...AND THE KONA SLOPES AND COAST WITH 
A SLIVER EXTENDING INTO THE ADJACENT WATERS BETWEEN CAPTAIN COOK AND 
AT MILOLII. LOCALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO PRESENT OVER THE 
WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN AREAS OF OAHU...MOLOKAI AND MAUI.

OTHER THAN FOR THE CIRRUS...THE REST OF THE ISLAND SKIES ARE FAIR.
WITH THIS IN MIND...THE SHOWERS ARE ABSENT ON WEATHER RADAR.

SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS SOME BROKEN LOW CLOUDS CLOSING IN ON THE 
HAMAKUA COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AND A LESSER AMOUNTS THREATENING THE 
WINDWARD SECTIONS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THESE CLOUDS CONTAIN A 
FEW LIGHT SHOWERS. THE LOW LEVEL WIND FLOW IS FROM THE NORTHEAST 
OVER THE WATERS NORTH THROUGH EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BECOMING EAST 
NORTHEAST OVER THE WINDWARD WATERS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THE WIND 
SPEEDS ARE BETWEEN 15 AND 20 MPH.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 28N168W OR 650 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. A TROUGH EXTENDS NORTHEASTWARD FROM THE 
LOW THROUGH 34N155W TO ANOTHER UPPER LOW AT 37N141W. ANOTHER TROUGH 
EXTENDS SOUTHWESTWARD FROM THE FIRST LOW THROUGH 25N173W TO 24N178E.
ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS MARKS THE LOCATION OF THE FIRST LOW.

IN THE TROPICS SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE IS MARKED BY WIDELY SCATTERED CONVECTION WITHIN 100 
MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 12N140W TO 09N165W. ALSO...AN AREA 
OF DEEP CONVECTION IS NOTED WITHIN 100 MILES RADIUS OF A POINT AT 
08N174W. IT HAS A CLOUD TOP OF 50000 FEET.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.