Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 07:36:53 -0500

362 
ATHW40 PHFO 121236
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN SEP 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 11 2010

A RIBBON OF HIGH LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS CONTINUED TO STREAM THROUGH 
PORTION OF THE HAWAIIAN SKIES THIS EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. THE SOURCE 
OF THE CIRRUS IS FROM THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IN THE WAKE ISLAND AND 
KWAJALEIN AREA LOCATED 2100 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE WIDTH 
OF THE CIRRUS BAND IS 300 MILES WIDE.

THE SOUTHWEST WIND FLOW HIGH ABOVE THE HAWAIIAN SKIES IS MADE 
POSSIBLE BY AN UPPER LEVEL LOW AND ASSOCIATED TROUGHS LOCATED WEST 
OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE UPPER LOW IS NEAR 28N167W OR 520 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. A TROUGH EXTENDS SOUTHWARD FROM THE LOW 
AND THE OTHER TOWARD THE NORTHEAST. THE UPPER LOW NORTHEAST OF KAUAI 
HAS BEEN INCHING SOUTHEASTWARD DURING THE COURSE OF THE EVENING AND 
IS ACCOMPANIED BY SOME TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS. THE CIRRUS ALSO 
GIVES THE POSITION OF THE SUB TROPICAL JET STREAM.

THE DENSE CIRRUS THAT HAD MASKED KAUAI COUNTY AT SUNSET HAVE THINNED 
DURING THE EVENING. THIS HAS GIVEN FORECASTERS TO VIEW THE LOW CLOUD 
SITUATION OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND ITS SURROUNDINGS. 
SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS SCATTERED TO BROKEN COVERAGE OF SHOWER 
BEARING CLOUDS EMBEDDED IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW. THIS IS CONFIRMED BY 
WEATHER RADAR WHICH IS DETECTING SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THE WINDWARD 
WATERS FROM OAHU TO THE BIG ISLAND AND THE WATERS OFF THE KAU COAST. 
A PLUME OF TWO OF SHOWERS ARE ALSO PRESENT ACROSS THE STATE/S 
LEEWARD WATERS...ORIGINATING FROM THE KONA COAST. THE KONA COAST AND 
ADJACENT WATERS HAVE TURNED MOSTLY CLOUDY LATELY WITH ISOLATED 
SHOWERS. 

SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND SATELLITE IMAGERY...BOTH SUPPORT LOCALLY 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITH A FEW SHOWERS OVER THE WINDWARD AND MOUNTAINS 
DISTRICTS OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND...AND FAIR SKIES OVER THE 
LEEWARD COMMUNITIES OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THE LOW LEVEL WINDS 
AROUND THE STATE IS TRADES BLOWING AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

IN THE TROPICS SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THERE HAS BEEN A 
SLIGHT UPTICK IN THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE IN PAST COUPLE OF HOURS. THE ACTIVITY IS MAINLY WITHIN  
100 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 11N146W TO 10N166W.  ISOLATED 
MODERATE THUNDERSTORMS ARE OCCURRING BETWEEN 10N AND 06N FROM 170W 
TO THE DATELINE.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.