Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:29:25 -0500

575 
ATHW40 PHFO 121829
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN SEP 12 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 12 2010

A SOMEWHAT DRY TRADE WIND FLOW IS IN PLACE OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...WHILE AN UPPER LEVEL LOW TO THE NORTHWEST IS SENDING A 
RIBBON OF HIGH CLOUDS OVER PORTIONS OF THE ISLANDS. 

A MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW IS PRODUCING LOW CLOUDS ACROSS MAINLY 
WINDWARD PORTION OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH THE GREATEST 
AMOUNT OF LOW CLOUD COVER FOUND ACROSS WINDWARD BIG ISLAND AND ITS 
ADJACENT WATERS. A BATCH OF BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS WITH SOME 
EMBEDDED...SHOWER-BEARING CUMULUS CLOUDS MOVED OVER WINDWARD SLOPES 
OF THE BIG ISLAND IN THE PREDAWN HOURS AND REMAINS IN PLACE. CLOUD 
TOPS RISE TO AROUND 10 KFT...AND SOME OF THE MOISTURE ASSOCIATED 
WITH THIS FEATURE IS PRODUCING MORNING CLOUDS OVER KAU AND THE 
LEEWARD SLOPES SOUTH OF KAILUA-KONA. 

CLOUD COVER DECREASES DRAMATICALLY OVER WATERS AROUND THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS...REFLECTING THE RATHER DRY CONDITIONS IN THE TRADE WIND 
FLOW. PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES IN THE FLOW ARE RUNNING ABOUT 80 
PERCENT OF NORMAL...AND PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE CONFINED 
TO WINDWARD SLOPES. INDIVIDUAL LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE 
TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST AROUND 15 MPH.

AN UPPER LEVEL HIGH CENTERED NEARLY 900 MILES EAST OF THE STATE IS 
PRODUCING STABLE CONDITIONS IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW OVER THE 
ISLANDS...WHILE A DEEPENING UPPER LEVEL LOW 600 MILES NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI IS SENDING A RIBBON OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS OVER THE GARDEN 
ISLE. THE UPPER LOW IS CENTERED NEAR 28N167W AND IS DRIFTING 
EASTWARD. 

THE UPPER LOW IS PRODUCING A PAIR OF NEARLY STATIONARY SURFACE 
TROUGHS. THE WEAKER SURFACE TROUGH RUNS ALONG 30N161W TO 27N167W AND 
IS MARKED BY ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS CELLS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH 
TOPS TO 38 KFT. ANOTHER...DEEPER SURFACE TROUGH IS FOUND AT THE BASE 
OF THE UPPER LOW ALONG 24N167W AND 21N169W. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS 
WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISING TO 42 KFT ARE OBSERVED WITHIN 200 
MILES EAST OF THE TROUGH. A 300 MILE-WIDE RIBBON OF BROKEN HIGH 
CLOUDS IS STREAMING FROM THIS AREA AND IS BEING CARRIED OVER KAUAI 
FOR 1200 MILES TO THE NORTHEAST ALONG A SUBTROPICAL JET ON THE FLANK 
OF THE UPPER LOW.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THE ITCZ 
REMAIN ACTIVE BETWEEN 12N AND 09N. 

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.