Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 19:26:12 -0500

637 
ATHW40 PHFO 130026
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON SEP 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 13 2010

A SOMEWHAT DRY TRADE WIND FLOW IS IN PLACE OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS...WHILE AN UPPER LEVEL LOW TO THE NORTHWEST IS GENERATING 
INSTABILITY MAINLY WEST OF THE ISLANDS.

A SMALL AREA OF MOISTURE MOVING ALONG THE TRADE WIND FLOW IS 
PRODUCING A GREATER AMOUNT OF LOW CLOUDS OVER THE BIG ISLAND... 
COMPARED TO THE SMALLER ISLANDS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER 
NEARLY ALL OF THE BIG ISLAND BELOW 6500 FT AND EXTEND FOR OVER 100 
MILES TO THE NORTH.

CLOUD COVER DECREASES DRAMATICALLY OVER WATERS AROUND THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS. FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST 
AROUND 15 MPH AROUND MAUI COUNTY AND OAHU EASING SLIGHTLY AND 
VEERING OUT OF THE EAST SOUTHEAST NEAR KAUAI...WITH PRECIPITABLE 
WATER VALUES IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW RUNNING ABOUT 80 PERCENT OF 
NORMAL. THIS IS RESULTING IN SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ACROSS WINDWARD SLOPES AND OVER THE SHELTERED...HEATED...LEEWARD 
SLOPES WHERE AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES HAVE KICKED IN. 

DESPITE THE UNIMPRESSIVE AMOUNT OF MOISTURE...SEA BREEZES ON LEEWARD 
KAUAI HAVE PRODUCED MORE EXTENSIVE CLOUD COVER WITH CUMULUS CLOUD 
TOPS REACHING AROUND 15 KFT. THESE SHOWER-BEARING CLOUDS ARE BEING 
TRIGGERED BY MODEST INSTABILITY FROM AN UPPER LOW TO THE NORTHWEST.

THE STALLED UPPER LEVEL LOW NEARLY 600 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS 
PRODUCING GREATER INSTABILITY TO THE WEST AND IS SUPPORTING A PAIR 
OF WESTWARD-DRIFTING SURFACE TROUGHS. THE WEAKER SURFACE TROUGH RUNS 
ALONG 30N162W AND 27N168W. ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS CELLS AND 
THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 38 KFT WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE TROUGH. A DEEPER 
SURFACE TROUGH IS FOUND AT THE BASE OF THE UPPER LOW ALONG 25N167W 
AND 20N170W. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS 
RISING TO 42 KFT ARE OBSERVED WITHIN 250 MILES EAST OF THE TROUGH. A 
200 MILE-WIDE RIBBON OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS EMANATING FROM THIS AREA 
HAD BEEN OVER KAUAI EARLIER IN THE DAY. THE HIGH CLOUD BAND HAS 
LIFTED JUST NORTH OF THE GARDEN ISLE AND EXTENDS FOR NEARLY 1000 
MILES TO THE NORTHEAST TO 28N148W.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THE ITCZ 
RISE BETWEEN 42 AND 50 KFT FROM 14N TO 09N. THIS IS SLIGHTLY NORTH 
OF THE TYPICAL ITCZ POSITION. 

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.