Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:26:32 -0500

322 
ATHW40 PHFO 131826
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON SEP 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 13 2010

SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED JUST NORTH OF 30N IS PRODUCING A 
RATHER DRY TRADE WIND FLOW OVER MOST OF THE AREA...WHILE AN UPPER 
LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR MIDWAY ATOLL IS PRODUCING INSTABILITY WEST 
OF MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

A MIX OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS CLOUDS IS 
MOVING ALONG THE TRADE WIND FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS...WHILE 
INDIVIDUAL LOW CLOUDS AROUND THE STATE ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST AT 
15 TO 20 MPH. LOW CLOUD COVER IS GREATEST OVER WATERS ADJACENT 
TO WINDWARD BIG ISLAND AND MAUI THIS MORNING...THOUGH LOW CLOUD 
COVER IS CONFINED TO WINDWARD PORTIONS OF ALL ISLANDS. SKIES OVER 
NEARLY ALL LEEWARD AREAS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. STRONG HIGH PRESSURE 
ALOFT CENTERED NEAR 24N140W IS PRODUCING STRONG SUBSIDENCE OVER AND 
EAST OF MAUI AND A VAST EXPANSE EAST OF THE STATE. PRECIPITABLE 
WATER VALUES IN THIS AREA ARE RUNNING AROUND 1.1 INCHES...WHICH IS 
ROUGHLY 80 PERCENT OF NORMAL FOR SEPTEMBER. 

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED 600 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI NEAR 
27N168W IS GENERATING INSTABILITY WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
THIS FEATURE IS DRIFTING WEST AND IS PRODUCING A WEAK SURFACE 
TROUGH...ROUGHLY ALONG 30N162W...26N167W...AND 21N173W. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS RISE AS HIGH AS 42 KFT WITHIN 175 MILES OF THE TROUGH 
N OF 26N AND 100 MILES OF THE TROUGH S OF 26N. BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS 
ALONG THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW HAVE THINNED SUBSTANTIALLY 
IN THE PAST 12 HOURS AND ARE NOW CONFINED TO A SMALL SHIELD NORTH OF 
KAUAI AND OAHU BETWEEN 29N AND 23N FROM 159W TO 155W.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...THE ITCZ REMAINS NORTH OF 10N...THOUGH 
THUNDERSTORM COVERAGE HAS DECLINED SUBSTANTIALLY IN THE PAST SIX 
HOURS. THE AREA EAST OF 160W HAS BECOME DEVOID OF THUNDERSTORMS... 
WHILE ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS RISING TO 49 KFT ARE FOUND BETWEEN 14N 
AND 08N WEST OF 160W.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.