Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:31:08 -0500

552 
ATHW40 PHFO 140031
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE SEP 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 14 2010

SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED JUST NORTH OF 30N IS PRODUCING A 
RATHER DRY TRADE WIND FLOW OVER MOST OF THE AREA...WHILE AN UPPER 
LEVEL LOW IS PRODUCING INSTABILITY WEST OF MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING ALONG THE TRADE WIND FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS FROM THE EAST AT 
15 TO 20 MPH. ONE SMALL AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS MOVING ACROSS 
THE BIG ISLAND...WHERE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL BUT 
THE IMMEDIATE LEEWARD COAST AND SUMMITS ABOVE 8500 FT. LOW CLOUD 
COVER DIMINISHES GREATLY AROUND THE SMALLER ISLANDS...WHERE ONLY 
SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE OBSERVED ACROSS WINDWARD 
SLOPES. AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO FOUND ALONG THE 
HEATED...SHELTERED LEEWARD SLOPES DUE TO DAYTIME SEA BREEZES.

STRONG HIGH PRESSURE ALOFT CENTERED NEAR 24N140W IS PRODUCING 
SUBSIDENCE OVER MAUI AND A VAST EXPANSE EAST OF THE STATE. 
PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES IN THIS AREA ARE RUNNING AROUND 1.1 
INCHES...WHICH IS ROUGHLY 80 PERCENT OF NORMAL FOR SEPTEMBER. 

AN UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED JUST OVER 600 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI 
NEAR 27N168W IS GENERATING INSTABILITY WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE IS DRIFTING WEST AND IS PRODUCING A SURFACE 
TROUGH...ROUGHLY ALONG 30N165W...25N172W...AND 17N174W. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS RISE AS HIGH AS 43 KFT WITHIN 225 MILES SOUTHEAST OF 
THE TROUGH. BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS ALONG THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER 
LOW HAVE THINNED SUBSTANTIALLY IN THE PAST 18 HOURS AND ARE NOW 
CONFINED TO A SMALL SHIELD NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
BETWEEN 30N AND 25N FROM 158W TO 153W.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE STATE...THE ITCZ REMAINS NORTH OF 10N...THOUGH 
NEARLY ALL OF THE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS NOW FOUND WEST OF 160W. A 
DEVELOPING TROUGH IN THE ITCZ IS DRIFTING WEST SLOWLY ALONG 15N163W 
TO 09N171W. THIS FEATURE IS MARKED BY ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS RISING 
TO 51 KFT WITHIN 200 MILES TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THE TROUGH AXIS. 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO FOUND BETWEEN 12N AND 08N WEST OF 
171W.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.