Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:26:50 -0500

297 
ATHW40 PHFO 141826
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE SEP 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 14 2010

SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS OF KAUAI 
AND OAHU FROM THE SOUTHWEST THIS MORNING...WHILE SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE OVER WINDWARD COASTS AND ADJACENT WATERS. LARGE SCALE 
VIEW OF THE TROPICAL CENTRAL PACIFIC SHOWS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS FROM 
ABOUT 18N TO 24N FROM THE LONGITUDE OF THE ISLANDS TO 140W...WITH 
ONLY FEW LOW CLOUDS LOCATED BETWEEN 24N AND 30N BETWEEN 165W AND 
140W. 

TRADE WINDS CONTINUE TO DOMINATE THE LOW LEVEL FLOW OVER THE 
ISLANDS...AND LOW CLOUD AND SHOWERS COVERAGE HAS INCREASED SOMEWHAT 
OVER WINDWARD WATERS...AS COMPARED TO RECENT DAYS. THE GREATEST 
COVERAGE OF LOW CLOUDS THIS MORNING IS OVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND AND 
ADJACENT WATERS...WHERE BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS /SC/...WITH 
EMBEDDED SHOWERY CUMULUS /CU/...ARE OVER THE PUNA...HILO AND HAMAKUA 
SLOPES...AND EXTEND UP TO 60 MILES TO THE EAST. THE LEEWARD SIDE OF 
THE BIG ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING...AS IS THE CASE IN 
MAUI COUNTY AS WELL. LEEWARD SIDES OF KAUAI AND OAHU ARE MOSTLY 
FREE OF LOW CLOUD COVER...BUT HIGH CLOUDS STREAMING OVER THESE 
ISLANDS FROM THE SOUTHWEST ARE MAKING FOR MILKY SKIES. THE WINDWARD 
SIDE OF MAUI IS UNDER BROKEN CU AND SC...AS IS THE EXTREME EASTERN 
TIP OF MOLOKAI. MEANWHILE...LANAI AND KAHOOLAWE ARE MOSTLY SUNNY. 
ONLY FEW TO SCATTERED CU ARE SEEN NEAR OAHU...AND OVER THE LOWER 
SLOPES OF KAUAI...BUT THE INTERIOR PORTIONS OF KAUAI HAVE BROKEN 
CU. LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST...AT 
SPEEDS NEAR 21 MPH. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY REVEALS A CLOSED LOW ALOFT CENTERED ABOUT 700 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI...NEAR 26N 171W...WITH A NORTHEAST TO 
SOUHTWEST ORIENTED TROUGH ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW ALONG A LINE FROM 
30N 165W TO THE LOW CENTER TO 18N 180. THE LOW HAS BEEN DRIFTING 
SLOWLY TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST OVER THE PAST 6 TO 10 HOURS. 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE NEAR THE CORE OF THE LOW...WITHIN 120 
MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 26N 167W TO 21N 175W. THE HIGH 
CLOUDS MOVING OVER KAUAI AND OAHU ARE ASSOCIATED WITH THE LOW AND 
TROUGH...WITH SOME OF THIS HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE ORIGINATING FROM THE 
TOPS OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS LOCATED ABOUT 650 MILES SOUTHWEST OF 
THE ISLANDS. 

THUNDERSTORM COVERAGE WITHIN THE NEAR EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND 
CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS IS AT A MINIMA...WITH ONLY 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS FROM 07N TO 20N BETWEEN 140W AND 145W. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.