Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 00:40:14 -0500

659 
ATHW40 PHFO 150540
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED SEP 15 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 15 2010

THE ISLAND SKIES AT SUNSET INCLUDE A THIN OVERCAST LAYER OF HIGH 
LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS. THESE CLOUDS ARE FROM THUNDERSTORMS LOCATED 
1350 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI. SOUTHWEST WINDS OVER THESE STORMS 
ABOVE 20000 FEET...ARE CARRYING THESE CLOUDS TO THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

THE SOUTHWEST WINDS ABOVE US ARE DUE TO A WELL ANCHORED UPPER LEVEL 
LOW AND TROUGHS LOCATED TO THE WEST OF THE STATE. THE UPPER LOW IS 
NEAR 21N176W. A TROUGH EXTENDS NORTHWARD FROM THE LOW TO 27N170W TO
30N165W TO 35N153W. ANOTHER TROUGH EXTENDS SOUTHWARD FROM THE LOW 
TO 15N176W TO 10N180W. SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS IS SITUATED BETWEEN 
THE LOW/TROUGHS AND THE BIG ISLAND. THE BULK OF THE CIRRUS IS 
CONFINED TO WITHIN 100 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 12N175W TO 
22N163W TO 25N150W.

THE CIRRUS ARE THIN ENOUGH SO THAT WE ARE ABLE TO VIEW THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND SURROUNDING AREA. SATELLITE IMAGERY BASICALLY 
SHOWS SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS UPWIND OF THE ISLANDS FOR 650 
MILES. THESE CLOUDS...WHICH CONTAIN A FEW SHOWERS...ARE RIDING IN 
WITH AN EAST NORTHEAST WIND FLOW CLOCKED AT 15 TO 20 MPH. BROKEN 
COVERAGE MAINLY RESIDED OVER THE WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN SECTIONS OF 
KAUAI...OAHU...AND MAUI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...CONTAINING A FEW 
SHOWERS...ARE PRESENT OVER THE WINDWARD COASTAL WATERS OF KAUAI... 
MAUI...AND THE HAMAKUA COAST AND PUNA DISTRICT OF THE BIG ISLAND. 
WHILE THE LEEWARD SECTIONS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS ARE GENERALLY 
FAIR...THE KAU SLOPES...THE KONA DISTRICTS OF THE BIG ISLAND 
INCLUDING THE ADJACENT WATERS...ARE CLOUDY THIS HOUR. WEATHER RADAR 
HAS NOT DETECTED ANY SHOWERS WITH THESE CLOUDS.

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE INCREASES TO BROKEN TO OVERCAST BEYOND 650 MILES 
EAST NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND STRETCHES NORTHEASTWARD TO 
THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST. SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR NORTH OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IN THE AREA BETWEEN 25N AND 35N FROM 135W TO 
162W.

THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS NON EXISTENT IN THE TROPICS SOUTH OF THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...EXCEPT FOR A LONE CELL AT 07N167W.

$$

LAU

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.