Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:22:09 -0500

286 
ATHW40 PHFO 151822
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED SEP 15 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 15 2010

SIMILAR TO WHAT WAS SEEN ON YESTERDAY/S SATELLITE IMAGERY...THE 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS /SC/...WITH 
EMBEDDED SHOWERY CUMULUS /CU/...APPROACHING FROM THE EAST...WHILE A 
DISTINCT NORTH-SOUTH GRADIENT IN LOW CLOUD COVERAGE EXISTS JUST 
NORTH OF THE ISLANDS.

ALTHOUGH A PLETHORA OF LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE ISLANDS IN A 
MODERATE TRADE FLOW THIS MORNING...LOW CLOUDS ARE NEARLY 
NON-EXISTENT JUST NORTH OF THE ISLANDS...FROM 25N TO 30N BETWEEN 
160W AND 140W. THIS NEARLY CLEAR AREA OUTLINES THE AXIS OF A SURFACE 
RIDGE...WHICH IS EAST-WEST ORIENTED ALONG 28N...BASED ON LOW CLOUDS 
MOVING TOWARD THE WEST SOUTH OF THIS LATITUDE...AND LOW CLOUDS 
HEADING EAST NORTH OF THIS LATITUDE. 

KAUAI IS A BIT OF AN OUTLIER THIS MORNING...AS MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES 
PREVAIL ISLAND-WIDE...AND OVER ADJACENT WATERS...WITH JUST FEW TO 
SCATTERED SMALL CU OVER INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE ISLAND. HEADING 
EAST FROM KAUAI LOW CLOUDS INCREASE IN COVERAGE...AND BECOME BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST FROM OAHU EASTWARD. OAHU IS CURRENTLY MOSTLY CLOUDY... 
WITH BROKEN SC AND CU OVER THE ISLAND AND NEAR SHORE WATERS. 
WINDWARD AREAS OF MAUI...MOLOKAI AND THE BIG ISLAND ARE ALSO MOSTLY 
CLOUDY WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC AND CU OVER THE LOWER SLOPES AND 
ADJACENT WATERS. LEEWARD AREAS OF THESE ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY SUNNY... 
BUT BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE OVER MAUI LEEWARD WATERS BETWEEN LANAI 
AND KAHOOLAWE. LOW CLOUD MOTION NEAR THE ISLANDS IS TOWARD THE WEST 
AT SPEEDS NEAR 23 MPH. 

HIGH CLOUDS THAT WERE OVER KAUAI AND OAHU AT THIS TIME YESTERDAY 
HAVE MOVED WEST OF THE ISLANDS...AS THE SUPPORTING UPPER LOW... 
CENTERED FAR WEST OF THE ISLANDS...HAS MOVED WEST OVER THE PAST 12 
HOURS. THE LOW IS NOW CENTERED NEAR 22N 176W...AND HAS A TROUGH AXIS 
THROUGH 30N 169W TO THE LOW CENTER ABOUT 1000 MILES WEST OF KAUAI... 
TO 13N 180. THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE TO DEVELOP NEAR THE CORE OF THE 
LOW...AND ARE CURRENTLY LOCATED FROM 19N TO 25N BETWEEN 174W AND THE 
DATE LINE. 

ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED IN ASSOCIATION WITH A WEAK 
TROPICAL LOW PASSING WELL SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS...NEAR 11N 153W. THE 
WESTWARD MOVING DISTURBANCE LACKS SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION...AND 
MARKS THE ONLY DEEP CONVECTION IN THE DEEP TROPICS OF THE CENTRAL 
NORTH PACIFIC. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.