Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:23:03 -0500

291 
ATHW40 PHFO 170522
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI SEP 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 17 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A BAND OF DENSE LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A 
FRONT APPROACHED MIDWAY ISLAND SLOWLY FROM THE NORTHWEST.

TO THE WEST...WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A COMPACT CENTER OF LOW 
PRESSURE IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 20N 180. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS AND TOWERING CUMULI ORBITED WITHIN ABOUT 200 MILES OF 
THE LOW CENTER...PRODUCING LIMITED QUANTITIES OF LAYERED HIGH TO 
MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS WITHIN THAT AREA AS WELL.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT TO MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN 
THE ITCZ BETWEEN 12N AND 05N...MOSTLY WEST OF 154W. LAYERED MIDDLE 
TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION OBSCURED 
LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 14N TO 04N...AND PARTLY FROM 17N TO THE 
EQUATOR.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
MARINE STRATOCUMULI BETWEEN THE ITCZ AND THE CURVE FROM 23N 140W TO 
22N 153W TO 30N 175W...THOUGH A FEW INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI APPEARED 
AS WELL. THESE CLOUDS WERE ORGANIZED MOSTLY INTO LOOSE CLUMPS 
ORIENTED FROM WEST NORTHWEST TO EAST SOUTHEAST. THE WEST TIP OF A 
LARGE STRATUS OVERCAST EXTENDED ACROSS 140W ALONG 20N TO NEAR 144W. 
THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 FEET...AND 
MOVED TOWARD THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...THOUGH CLOSE TO 
THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND...THEY TURNED AROUND TOWARD THE NORTHWEST... 
NORTH...AND THEN THE NORTHEAST.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS OVER LOWER TO 
MIDDLE WEST SLOPES OF OAHU...LANAI...MAUI...AND THE BIG ISLAND. 
HOWEVER...A FEW MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI ALSO MOVED ASHORE 
ALONG SLOPES FACING EAST...ESPECIALLY OVER EXTREME EAST MAUI...AND 
MIDDLE SLOPES OF SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS ON THE BIG ISLAND. 
THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 6000 FEET. RADAR 
DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.