Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 07:16:08 -0500

362 
ATHW40 PHFO 171216
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI SEP 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 17 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...CLOUD LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT SHEARED 
APART JUST NORTHWEST OF MIDWAY ISLAND.

TO THE WEST...WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A COMPACT CENTER OF LOW 
PRESSURE IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 20N 180. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS AND TOWERING CUMULI ORBITED WITHIN ABOUT 250 MILES OF 
THE LOW CENTER...PRODUCING LIMITED QUANTITIES OF LAYERED HIGH TO 
MIDDLE DEBRIS CLOUDS WITHIN THAT AREA AS WELL.

TO THE SOUTH...MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 13N AND 06N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 14N TO 
05N...AND PARTLY FROM 17N TO THE EQUATOR.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
MARINE STRATOCUMULI BETWEEN THE ITCZ AND THE CURVE FROM 23N 180 TO 
28N 167W TO 21N 146W TO 22N 140W...THOUGH CLOUD COVER FURTHER NORTH 
DID FILL IN SOMEWHAT OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. INDIVIDUAL SMALL 
CUMULI WERE PRESENT THROUGHOUT THE AREA AS WELL. THESE CLOUDS HAD 
INCREASED IN AREAL COVERAGE...MERGING INTO LARGE CLUMPS AND AREAS OF 
NEARLY SOLID STRATUS OVERCAST...ESPECIALLY ALONG 20N. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD 
THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...THOUGH CLOSE TO THE FRONTAL 
CLOUD BAND...THEY SLOWED...TURNING AROUND TOWARD THE NORTHWEST... 
NORTH...AND THEN THE NORTHEAST.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING 
EAST. LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS INLAND 
ON THURSDAY HAD DISSIPATED FOR THE MOST PART...THOUGH SOME STILL 
LANGUISHED IN PLACES...ESPECIALLY ALONG LOWER WEST SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 7000 FEET. 
RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OFFSHORE 
TO THE NORTH THROUGH NORTHEAST OF OAHU...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT 
MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.