Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:30:16 -0500

502 
ATHW40 PHFO 171830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI SEP 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 17 2010

HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED 400 MILES NORTH OF THE STATE IS PROVIDING 
TRADE WINDS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC FROM THE EQUATOR TO 26N. LOW 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING ALONG WITH THE TRADES BETWEEN 10 TO 20 MPH. 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW STRATOCUMULUS ARE LOCATED BETWEEN 10N AND 
23N FROM 140W TO 170W. NORTH OF 23N TO 30N SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR 
WITH A HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE RUNNING ALONG 28N PRODUCING THE CLEARER 
SKIES. 

BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST OF KAUAI AND OAHU THIS 
MORNING. VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGES SHOW MOUNTAIN WAVE CLOUDS FORMING 
LEE OF THE KOOLAU AND KAUAI MTS. THE WAVELENGTH OF THESE TRANSVERSE 
WAVES IS APPROXIMATELY 2 MILES AND THEY EXTEND 10 MILES FROM THE 
MOUNTAINS. MAUI COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND HAVE MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES 
THIS MORNING WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE HANA COAST...CAPE 
KUMUKAHI...AND THE LOWER SLOPES ABOVE HILO WHICH ALL HAVE OVERCAST 
CLOUD COVER. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW SPINNING NEAR 20N AND 
JUST WEST OF THE DATELINE. THE UPPER LOW IS ADVECTING MOISTURE UP 
FROM THE SOUTH ALONG THE EAST SIDE OF ITS CIRCULATION. THE MOISTURE 
AND INSTABILITY PROVIDED BY THE LOW ARE PRODUCING OVERCAST MID AND 
UPPER LEVEL LAYERED CLOUDS. 

FAR SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS WITHIN THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE 
ZONE...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORMING BETWEEN 5N AND 13N. 
WITHIN THE SAME AREA...UNORGANIZED CONVECTION IS ASSOCIATED WITH A 
WEAK SURFACE FEATURE NEAR 11N 144W. CLOUD TOP HEIGHTS ARE REACHING 
AS HIGH AS 52 THOUSAND FEET IN THESE THUNDERSTORMS. 

$$

MORRISON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.