Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 00:37:39 -0500

112 
ATHW40 PHFO 180537
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT SEP 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 18 2010

THE CENTER OF A DEEP LAYERED HIGH...ABOUT 500 MILES NORTH-NORTHWEST 
OF OAHU...IS CLEARLY SEEN ON REGIONAL VISIBLE IMAGERY THIS EVENING...
WITH THIS HIGH PROVIDING THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS WITH A MODERATE TO 
FRESH TRADE WIND FLOW. ASIDE FROM A CLUMP OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
STABLE STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ OVER WATERS TO THE NORTHEAST OF KAUAI AND 
OAHU...FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS PREVAIL OVER WINDWARD WATERS. 
RADAR IS NOT CURRENTLY DETECTING ANY SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD 
WATERS...WITH NARROW SHOWER LINES NOTED WITHIN THE LOW CLOUD PLUMES 
STREAMING WEST-SOUTHWESTWARD FROM THE ISLANDS OF KAUAI...OAHU AND 
MOLOKAI. 

THE LEADING EDGE OF A CLUMP OF LOW CLOUDS OVER WATERS NORTHEAST OF 
THE ISLANDS IS ABOUT 60 TO 70 MILES NORTHEAST OF KAUAI AND OAHU... 
AND ABOUT 110 MILES NORTHEAST OF WINDWARD MAUI. THIS CLUMP IS 
DOMINATED BY SC...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERY CUMULUS /CU/ ELEMENTS ARE 
EMBEDDED IN THIS CLUMP THAT EXTENDS ABOUT 350 MILES EAST TO WEST AND 
150 MILES NORTH TO SOUTH. WITH LOW CLOUDS TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE 
ISLANDS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST...AND THOSE TO THE WEST MOVING 
TOWARD THE WEST...THIS CLUMP OF LOW CLOUDS APPEARS TO BE MOVING ON A 
TRAJECTORY THAT WOULD BRING IT OVER KAUAI AND OAHU LATER TONIGHT... 
AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE ISLANDS OF MAUI COUNTY. LOW CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING AT SPEEDS NEAR 22 MPH. 

THE CLOUDIEST ISLAND AREA THIS EVENING APPEARS TO BE THE LEEWARD 
SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND...WHERE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS LINGER 
FROM DAYTIME HEATING. WINDWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI AND OAHU HAVE 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC AND CU...BUT COASTAL AREAS HAVE FEW TO 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVERHEAD. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A HIGH ALOFT CENTERED TO THE NORTHWEST OF 
THE ISLANDS...WITH A NORTHEAST FLOW ALOFT OVER THE ISLANDS AS A 
RESULT. A WEAK TROUGH EXISTS DOWNSTREAM...OR TO THE EAST OF THE 
HIGH...AND IS TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS...ALONG A LINE FROM 
30N 142W TO NEAR 22N 150W. 

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THE NEAR EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND 
CONVERGENCE ZONE LACK SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION...ALTHOUGH SEVERAL 
WEAK LOW CLOUD SWIRLS ARE EMBEDDED. THE BEST DEVELOPED LOW CLOUD 
SWIRL IS LOCATED ABOUT 950 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND 
HAS BEEN SPAWNING BURSTS OF THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF 
DAYS...BUT THE WEAK LOW HAS REMAINED WITHIN THE CONVERGENCE 
ZONE...WHICH APPEARS TO BE HINDERING ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.