Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 07:31:39 -0500

469 
ATHW40 PHFO 181231
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SAT SEP 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 18 2010

WHILE LOW CLOUD COVERAGE...AND MOTIONS...HELP TO OUTLINE THE 
POSITION OF A DEEP LAYERED HIGH THAT IS CENTERED ABOUT 450 MILES 
NORTH-NORTHWEST OF OAHU...THE WESTWARD MOVEMENT OF THE HIGH IS 
ALLOWING A DEEP LAYERED TROUGH TO DIG SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OVER 
WATERS FAR NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS. 

LOW CLOUD COVER OVER THE ISLAND/S NEAR SHORE WATERS HAS INCREASED 
SINCE SUNDOWN FRIDAY...WHILE THE DISTINCT CLUMP OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS NORTHEAST OF KAUAI AND OAHU HAS BECOME 
INCREASINGLY DIFFUSE. LOW CLOUD COVERAGE OVER WINDWARD WATERS IS 
UNIFORMLY BROKEN TO OVERCAST UPSTREAM OF ALL ISLANDS...WITH STABLE 
STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ PREVAILING...ALTHOUGH SOME SHOWERY CUMULUS /CU/ 
ARE MOST CERTAINLY EMBEDDED...BASED ON RADAR DETECTING SCATTERED 
SHOWERS CURRENTLY IN THE VICINITY OF KAUAI AND OAHU. THE BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS EXTEND UP TO 120 MILES TO THE NORTHEAST OF ALL ISLANDS...WITH 
A DISTINCT BREAK IN LOW CLOUD COVER BEYOND THAT POINT. LOW CLOUDS 
NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-SOUTHWEST AT SPEEDS 
BETWEEN 25 AND 28 MPH. 
 
WITH THE INCREASE IN LOW CLOUD COVER OVER WINDWARD WATERS...WINDWARD 
SIDES OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY CLOUDY THIS MORNING...WITH BROKEN  
LOW CLOUDS SPREADING OVER TO LEEWARD AREAS ON BOTH KAUAI AND OAHU AS 
WELL. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO NOTED OVER THE LEEWARD LOWER SLOPES 
AND NEAR SHORE WATERS OF THE BIG ISLAND...PRIMARILY BETWEEN 
KAILUA-KONA AND MILOLII. LEEWARD AREAS OF MAUI COUNTY APPEAR TO BE 
MOSTLY CLEAR. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A HIGH ALOFT CENTERED TO THE WEST OF THE 
ISLANDS...WITH A NORTHEAST FLOW ALOFT OVER THE ISLANDS AS A 
RESULT. A WEAK TROUGH EXISTS DOWNSTREAM...OR TO THE EAST OF THE 
HIGH...AND IS TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS...ALONG A LINE FROM 
30N 144W TO NEAR 23N 150W. 

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THE NEAR EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND 
CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS...FROM 7N TO 12N BETWEEN 140W 
AND 180...LACK SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.