Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:34:49 -0500

479 
ATHW40 PHFO 190034
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN SEP 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 19 2010

A DEEP LAYERED RIDGE IS POSITIONED ABOUT 650 MILES NORTHWEST OF OAHU 
THIS MORNING AND IS SLOWLY RETROGRADING WESTWARD. THIS MOVEMENT IS 
ALLOWING FOR THE TRAILING END OF A WEAKENING COLD FRONT AND 
ASSOCIATED UPPER TROUGH TO DIG SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST OVER THE WATERS 
TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

VISIBLE AND IR SATELLITE SHOW THE CLOUD BAND ALONG THE FRONT ON AN 
AXIS FROM 22N152W TO 30N133W UP TO THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA COAST. 
THE CLOUD BAND IS CHARACTERIZED BY A 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF STRATUS 
CLOUDS OVERCAST EAST OF 140W AND BROKEN TO SCATTERED IN COVERAGE 
EAST OF 140W. SATELLITE AMSU AND SSMI BLENDED PRECIPITABLE WATER 
VALUES OVER THE LOCATION OF THIS CLOUD BAND IS AROUND 1.6 TO 1.8 
INCHES. AROUND THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SOUNDINGS SHOW VALUES AROUND 
1.1 TO 1.2 INCHES.

ACROSS THE STATE THIS AFTERNOON...A FEW CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE OBSERVED 
OVER THE COASTAL WATERS. THICKER PLUME CLOUDS ARE ALSO SEEN LEEWARD 
OF MOST OF THE ISLANDS. RADAR IS TRACKING ISOLATED SHOWERS 
CONCENTRATED OVER KAUAI...NIIHAU AND WINDWARD OAHU. ON 
KAUAI...SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUD BUILDUPS ARE OCCURRING ON 
KAUAI AND OAHU WITH THE HEAVIER CONCENTRATIONS OVER THE MAUKA AREAS. 
MOLOKAI HAS A FEW CLOUDS OVER THE NORTHEAST PART OF THE ISLAND WITH 
THE REMAINDER OF THE AREA MOSTLY SUNNY. LANAI HAS A FEW CLOUDS OVER 
THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE ISLAND. MAUI HAS A FEW CLOUDS OVER 
WINDWARD WEST MAUI AND THE LEEWARD PART OF HALEAKALA. THE BIG ISLAND 
HAS OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER THE KONA COAST AND KAU DISTRICT UP TO 8 KFT 
IN ELEVATION. SCATTERED CUMULUS CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE WINDWARD 
COAST...OTHERWISE THE REST OF THE BIG ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY.

ELSEWHERE IN THE CENTRAL PACIFIC...A STATIONARY FRONT AND UPPER 
LEVEL TROUGH ARE POSITIONED ON THE NORTHWEST FLANK OF THE EARLIER 
MENTIONED HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM NORTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. THE CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT RUNS ALONG AN AXIS 
FROM TO 40N156W TO 30N178W TO 25N172E AND IS AROUND 150 MILES WIDE. 
THE CLOUDS HAVE DECREASED ALONG THIS FRONT OVER THE LAST SIX 
HOURS...BUT A FEW EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE STILL PRESENT 
MAINLY WEST OF THE DATELINE.

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN THE NEAR EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND 
CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS...FROM 06N TO 11N BETWEEN 140W 
AND 170W. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND TO 52 KFT IN THE VERTICAL IN THIS AREA.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.