Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:04:33 -0500

212 
ATHW40 PHFO 190604
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN SEP 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 19 2010

A SHOWER AREA THAT HIT THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS LAST NIGHT IS 
MOVING AWAY TO THE WEST...BUT A NEW BAND OF SHOWERS IS MOVING TOWARD 
THE ISLANDS FROM THE NORTHEAST.

CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER KAUAI COUNTY EXCEPT FOR BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
OVER WINDWARD KAUAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER OAHU. 
VISIBLE IMAGERY JUST BEFORE SUNSET SHOWED THAT MANY OF THE CLOUDS 
OVER OAHU WERE WAVE CLOUDS...A SERIES OF CLOSELY SPACED CLOUD LINES 
PARALLEL TO THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS. THERE ARE SCATTERED CLOUDS OVER 
MAUI COUNTY EXCEPT FOR SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER 
WINDWARD AREAS. CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST OF THE BIG ISLAND OF 
HAWAII BUT THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE COAST 
AND LOWER SLOPES FROM NAALEHU TO SOUTH POINT TO KAILUA-KONA.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE 
NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH...FROM A MORE NORTHERLY DIRECTION THAN THE 
TYPICAL EAST NORTHEAST TRADE-WIND FLOW. THERE ARE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS FROM THE BIG ISLAND TO OAHU. CLOUDS ARE 
ISOLATED FOR 120 MILES UPSTREAM OF KAUAI.

A BAND OF SHOWERS ALONG THE TRAILING END OF A FRONT IS MOVING TOWARD 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE NORTHEAST. THE BAND LIES NORTH OF 
A LINE FROM 120 MILES NORTHEAST OF LIHUE...TO 50 MILES NORTHEAST OF 
MOLOKAI...TO 120 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO...TO 21N150W...350 MILES 
EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO TO 25N140W. THE PART OF THE BAND NEAR 140W IS 
120 MILES AND CONTAINS SHOWERY OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. THE BAND NARROWS 
TO 90 MILES WIDE WEST OF 145W AND THE CLOUD COVERAGE BECOMES BROKEN. 
THE PART OF THE BAND EAST OF 150W HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE 
SOUTHEAST AT 12 MPH. THE PART OF THE BAND NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS 
HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH SO THE BAND 
SHOULD REACH THE ISLANDS IN THE NEXT FEW HOUR. THE CLOUDS UPSTREAM 
OF THE ISLANDS ARE A MIX OF STABLE STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS AND SHOWERY 
CUMULUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 10000 FT.

THE SHOWER AREA THAT MOVED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FRIDAY 
NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON IS NOW WEST OF THE ISLANDS. THE 180 
MILE WIDE CLOUD AREA IS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 135 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 23N167W. THIS CLOUD AREA HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 MPH.

THERE IS AN UNUSUAL DOUBLE CLOUD BAND IN THE DEEP TROPICS SOUTH OF 
THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. A BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS...SCATTERED 
TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS AND ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS LIES SOUTH 
OF A LINE FROM 10N140W TO 14N175W. MOST OF THE BAND IS BETWEEN 300 
AND 400 MILES WIDE...BUT THE BAND NARROWS TO 180 MILES WIDE WEST OF 
168W. THE MOST ACTIVE THUNDERSTORMS ARE BETWEEN 145W AND 150W AND 
MAY BE ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAK LOW. A 200 TO 250 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
SHOWERY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS AND SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS IS 
CENTERED FROM 13N140W TO 14N150W TO 15N165W. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A CYCLONE ALOFT ABOUT 900 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS NEAR 31N147W. A TROUGH EXTENDS SOUTHWEST FROM THE LOW TO 
26N150W. AN ANTICYCLONE ALOFT IS CENTERED 357 MILES WEST NORTHWEST 
OF KAUAI NEAR 24N166W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.