Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 07:41:22 -0500

630 
ATHW40 PHFO 191241
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC SUN SEP 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 19 2010

CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS INCREASED 
CONSIDERABLY SINCE LAST EVENING SINCE THE REMNANT OF A FRONT IS 
MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS FROM THE NORTHEAST.

CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER NIIHAU AND LANAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD AREAS FROM KAUAI TO MAUI...AND SOME OF THE 
LOW CLOUDS ARE SPREADING OVER CENTRAL KAUAI AND OAHU AND COMPLETELY 
ACROSS MOLOKAI. OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE COAST AND LOWER SLOPES
OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII FROM UPOLU POINT TO HILO TO APUA 
POINT...AND FROM MILOLII TO KAILUA TOWN. SKIES ARE CLEAR ELSEWHERE 
ON THE BIG ISLAND.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE 
NORTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH. THERE ARE SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF ALL OF THE ISLANDS.

A BAND OF SHOWERS ALONG THE TRAILING END OF A FRONT IS MOVING OVER
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FROM THE NORTHEAST. THE BAND LIES NORTH OF 
A LINE FROM 60 MILES SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...OVER THE ISLANDS FROM 
KAUAI TO THE BIG ISLAND...TO 20N150W...TO 23N140W. THE PART OF THE 
BAND OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS ABOUT 150 MILES WIDE...WHILE 
THE PART NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS IS AROUND 200 MILES WIDE. THE BAND 
CONTAINS A MIX OF STABLE STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS AND SHOWERY CUMULUS 
CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 9000 FT. THE PART OF THE BAND OVER THE ISLANDS 
HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH...WHILE THE 
PART NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH 
AROUND 10 MPH.

THE SHOWER AREA THAT MOVED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS FRIDAY 
NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON PERSISTS AS A 200 MILE WIDE AREA 
OF OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 300 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 24N168W. THIS CLOUD AREA HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 MPH.

WEST OF JOHNSTON ISLANDS IS A 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF SHOWERY OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS... SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS...TCU...AND 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...IN THE SHAPE OF AN UPSIDE-DOWN 
V. THE BAND IS CENTERED FROM 17N137W TO 19N177W TO 17N180W. THIS 
BAND HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH.

THERE IS AN UNUSUAL DOUBLE CLOUD BAND IN THE DEEP TROPICS SOUTH OF 
THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. A BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS...SCATTERED 
TCU...AND ISOLATED CB LIES SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 10N140W TO 10N170W. 
THE BAND IS BETWEEN 400 AND 500 MILES WIDE. THE MOST ACTIVE CB ARE 
BETWEEN 144W AND 150W AND MAY BE ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAK LOW. A 200 
TO 250 MILE WIDE BAND OF SHOWERY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS AND SCATTERED 
TCU IS CENTERED FROM 14N140W TO 14N165W. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A CYCLONE ALOFT ABOUT 850 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS NEAR 29N146W. A TROUGH EXTENDS SOUTHWEST FROM THE LOW TO 
24N148W. AN ANTICYCLONE ALOFT IS CENTERED 357 MILES WEST NORTHWEST 
OF KAUAI NEAR 25N167W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.