Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 00:53:10 -0500

859 
ATHW40 PHFO 200552
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON SEP 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 20 2010

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE IN CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SINCE THIS AFTERNOON AS CLOUDS FROM THE TRAILING END OF A 
COLD FRONT CONTINUE MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS IN THE TRADE-WIND FLOW.

CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER NIIHAU. SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD AREAS FROM KAUAI TO MAUI...AND BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE SPREADING LEEWARD ON OAHU...MOLOKAI AND LANAI. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER MOST LOWLAND AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII 
BUT CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED ALONG THE COAST NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI AND 
BETWEEN VOLCANO AND PAHALA. SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER THE INTERIOR OF THE 
BIG ISLAND ABOVE ABOUT 5500 FEET OF ELEVATION.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE 
NORTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS FROM KAUAI TO MOLOKAI AND BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. THE CLOUDS OVER MAUI 
AND THE BIG ISLAND ARE PART OF THE TRAILING END OF A FRONTAL BAND. 
THE 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
LIES SOUTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 26N140W...TO 21.5N150W...TO 
22.5N154W...ACROSS MAUI TO 135 MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI TO 21N165W. THE 
BAND HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS BUT A 
BULGE ALONG THE NORTHWEST EDGE OF THE BAND IS MOVING SOUTHWEST AT 15 
MPH. THIS AREA OF SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS IS MOVING OVER THE BIG 
ISLAND AND MAUI AND COULD SPREAD OVER MOLOKAI.

A 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IS 
CENTERED FROM 19N171W TO 25N173W. THIS CLOUD AREA CONTINUES MOVING 
TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 MPH.

AN UNUSUAL DOUBLE CLOUD BAND PERSISTS IN THE DEEP TROPICS SOUTH OF 
THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. A 300 TO 400 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED 
CLOUDS...SCATTERED TCU...AND ISOLATED CB LIES SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 
10N140W TO 12N150W TO 09N160W TO 09N176W. THERE MAY BE A SMALL LOW 
AROUND 150W WHERE THE BAND BULGES NORTHWARD...BUT IF SO...THE LOW IS 
NOT VERY EASY TO FIND ON INFRARED IMAGERY. A WEAKER 200 MILE WIDE 
BAND OF SHOWERY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS AND SCATTERED TCU IS CENTERED FROM
14N140W TO 12N172W. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT CENTERED FROM A CYCLONE AT 30N150W THROUGH 
ANOTHER LOW AT 26N156W TO 24N160W. AN ANTICYCLONE ALOFT IS CENTERED 
680 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF KAUAI NEAR 26N170W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.