Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:36:10 -0500

231 
ATHW40 PHFO 201236
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC MON SEP 20 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 20 2010

CLOUDS FROM THE TRAILING END OF A COLD FRONT CONTINUE MOVING OVER 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BUT CLOUD COVER AROUND THE ISLANDS HAS 
DECREASED SINCE LAST EVENING.

CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER NIIHAU. SHOWERY...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER 
WINDWARD AREAS OF KAUAI AND OAHU WHILE CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER 
LOWER LEEWARD AREAS OF THE TWO ISLANDS. SHOWERY BROKEN TO OVERCAST
CLOUDS BLANKET MOLOKAI AND LANAI AND WINDWARD MAUI. CLOUDS ARE 
SCATTERED OVER LEEWARD MAUI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS STILL COVER 
MOST LOWLAND AREAS OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...UNUSUAL FOR THIS 
TIME OF NIGHT...WITH SCATTERED CLOUDS OVER THE KAU DESERT BETWEEN 
VOLCANO AND PAHALA. SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER THE INTERIOR OF THE BIG 
ISLAND ABOVE ABOUT 5500 FEET OF ELEVATION.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST
NORTHEAST AROUND 20 MPH. THERE ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
UPSTREAM OF KAUAI...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF OAHU...AND 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF MOLOKAI MAUI AND THE BIG 
ISLAND. THE CLOUDS OVER MAUI COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND ARE PART OF 
THE TRAILING END OF A FRONTAL BAND. THE 150 TO 250 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS LIES SOUTHEAST OF A LINE 
FROM 27N140W...TO 22N150W...TO 80 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO TO 60 
MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF KAHULUI...OVER MOLOKAI TO 90 MILES 
SOUTHWEST OF LANAI. THE BAND HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE 
PAST SEVERAL HOURS.

ANOTHER FRAGMENT OF THE OLD FRONTAL BAND IS NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 
30N146W TO 27N148W TO 26N153W. THE BAND IS 175 MILES WIDE AT 30N 
TAPERING DOWN TO 40 MILES WIDE AT 26N. THIS BAND HAS BEEN MOVING 
SOUTH AT 5 TO 10 MPH.

A 280 MILE WIDE BAND OF SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IS 
CENTERED FROM 19N174W TO 25N176W. THIS CLOUD AREA CONTINUES MOVING 
TOWARD THE WEST AT 20 MPH.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A TROUGH ALOFT CENTERED FROM A CYCLONE AT 30N149W TO KAUAI. AN 
ANTICYCLONE ALOFT REMAINS NEARLY STATIONARY 680 MILES WEST NORTHWEST 
OF KAUAI NEAR 26N170W. A JET STREAM RUNS FROM 26N180W TO 29N170W TO 
KAUAI TO 30N148W.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.