Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:00:13 -0500

453 
ATHW40 PHFO 211800
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1800 UTC TUE SEP 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1730 UTC SEPTEMBER 21 2010

SKIES ARE CLEAR TO PARTLY CLOUDY ACROSS MOST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN 
THIS MORNING.  LOW CLOUD CEILINGS ARE TENDING TO CONCENTRATE OVER 
WINDWARD AND MAUKA SECTIONS...ESPECIALLY IN THE PUNA AND HILO 
DISTRICTS ON THE BIG ISLAND.  LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS FROM THE EAST TO 
SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST NEAR 15 MPH STATEWIDE.

SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS FROM AN OLD FRONT ARE GENERATING CEILINGS JUST 
EAST CLOCKWISE THROUGH SOUTHWEST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND TO ITS 
NORTHEAST.  THIS LATTER AREA OF SHOWERY LOW CLOUDINESS HAS BEEN 
MOVING STEADILY TOWARD MAUI AND THE NORTHERN PARTS OF THE BIG 
ISLAND.  CONDITIONS ARE OTHERWISE CLEAR TO SCATTERED IN THE ADJACENT 
COASTAL WATERS.

BESIDES THE OLD FRONTAL REMNANTS NEAR THE BIG ISLAND...MORE LOW 
CLOUDS THAT HAD BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT EXIST FARTHER TO THE 
EAST AND NORTHEAST OF THE STATE.  MOST OF THIS CLOUDINESS IS 
CURRENTLY WITHIN 100 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 26.5N135.5W TO 
24.5N141.5W TO 23.5N146.5W TO 20N152W.

IN THE UPPER AIR ABOVE 25 THOUSAND FEET...A NORTHEAST-TO-SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED TROUGH HAS BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY...AND IS ALONG A LINE 
FROM 30N146W TO 26N150W TO 23N156W TO JUST OVER OAHU TO 19N160W.  
TWO WEAK LOWS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE TROUGH...AND ARE NEAR 27.5N 
148.5W AND 24N155W.  ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH FAR NORTHWEST OF KAUAI... 
WHOSE AXIS IS ORIENTED NORTH TO SOUTH AND IS ALONG A LINE FROM 
32N169W TO 25N170W...HAS BEEN HEADING TOWARD THE EAST-SOUTHEAST NEAR 
10 MPH OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.  A SWATH OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS 
EXISTS ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE TROUGH AXIS.

CONVECTION IS FIRING ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE FAR 
SOUTH OF HAWAII.  MOST OF THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEEN 
OCCURRING FROM 08N TO 12.5N EAST OF 165W...AND THE MORE INTENSE 
ACTIVITY FROM 05N TO 10N WEST OF 165W.  A WEAK VORTEX...OR 
CIRCULATION...HAS BEEN PUSHING SLOWLY TOWARD THE WEST OVER THE PAST 
SIX HOURS.  IT IS NOW ABOUT 550 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF HILO.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.