Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:00:12 -0500

522 
ATHW40 PHFO 220000
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0000 UTC WED SEP 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 2330 UTC SEPTEMBER 21 2010

SKIES ARE SUNNY TO PARTLY CLOUDY OVER MOST OF THE ALOHA STATE THIS 
EARLY AFTERNOON.  ON THE OTHER HAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
HAVE BEEN FORMING OVER THE MOUNTAIN SLOPES IN KAU...KONA...SOUTH 
KOHALA...WINDWARD NORTH KOHALA AND HAMAKUA ON THE BIG ISLAND AS OF 
BULLETIN TIME.  LOW CEILINGS HAVE ALSO BEEN DEVELOPING ON THE NORTH- 
AND WEST-FACING SLOPES OF HALEAKALA IN EAST MAUI.  LOW CLOUD MOTION 
IS FROM THE EAST TO EAST-NORTHEAST AT 15 TO 20 MPH ACROSS THE ISLAND 
CHAIN.

SCATTERED TO OCCASIONALLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...WITH EMBEDDED 
SHOWERS...EXIST IMMEDIATELY NORTH CLOCKWISE THROUGH SOUTH OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND JUST EAST OF MAUI.  THESE ELEMENTS ARE REMNANTS FROM AN 
OLD FRONTAL BOUNDARY.  CONDITIONS ARE CLEAR TO SCATTERED ELSEWHERE 
IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

MOST OF THE REMNANT MOISTURE FROM THE OLD FRONT...AS ALLUDED TO 
ABOVE...IS FARTHER TO THE EAST AND NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...AND 
IS CURRENTLY WITHIN 85 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 26N135W TO 
24N146.5W TO 19.5N153.5W.

THE AXIS OF A WEAK NORTHEAST-TO-SOUTHWEST ORIENTED UPPER TROUGH... 
ABOVE 25 THOUSAND FEET...IS NEARLY STATIONARY ALONG A LINE FROM 
30N146W TO 26.5N150W TO 23N158W TO JUST OVER THE KAUAI CHANNEL TO 
20N160W.  ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH...FAR NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND ORIENTED 
NORTH TO SOUTH...HAS BECOME NEARLY STATIONARY.  ITS AXIS IS ALONG A 
LINE FROM 30N170W TO 24N169W.  AN UPPER RIDGE EXISTS BETWEEN THE 
TROUGHS...AND AN AREA OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS HAS FORMED ON THE 
SOUTHEAST FLANK OF THE RIDGE.  MOST OF THIS CLOUDINESS IS LOCATED 
FROM 27N TO 33N BETWEEN 148W AND 158W.

A WEAK VORTEX...OR COUNTERCLOCKWISE-ROTATING CIRCULATION...IS MORE 
THAN 500 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF HILO AND HAS BEEN MOVING WEST NEAR 
10 MPH.  THE FEATURE...IGNITING SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...HAS 
SHOWN INCREASING ORGANIZATION OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS.  MORE 
DEVELOPMENT OF THE SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE AS IT HEADS WEST.

ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...CONVECTION HAS BEEN 
FIRING FROM 08N TO 11N EAST OF 163W...AND FROM 06.5N TO 10N WEST OF 
166W.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.