Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:34:08 -0500

020 
ATHW40 PHFO 221834
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED SEP 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 22 2010

AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS LIES AN EAST WEST ORIENTED BAND OF 
SHOWERY CLOUDS THAT IS PROVIDING THE VAST MAJORITY OF CLOUDS 
COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS THEM SELVES. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS BAND 
IS JUST EAST OF KAUAI WITH THE WEST EDGE EXTENDING FAR TO THE EAST 
NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OF CLOUDS IS 
PRESENTLY IN THE VICINITY OF OAHU WHERE SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLOUDY. 
CLOUD TOPS WITHIN THIS AREA OF ARE UPWARD TO BETWEEN 10000 AND 12000 
FEET. THE CLOUD ARE THINS OUT FROM MAUI COUNTY EASTWARD. 

OVER OAHU PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE PRIMARILY COVERING EASTERN AND 
INTERIOR SECTIONS OF THE ISLAND WHILE MOST LEEWARD AREAS ARE CLOUD 
FREE. AS MENTIONED ABOVE OAHU WAS MOSTLY CLOUD COVERED WITH JUST A 
FEW RANDOM BREAKS SEEN TO THE LEE OF THE MOUNTAINS. OVER MOLOKAI 
LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING EASTERN SECTIONS OF THE ISLAND WHILE OVER 
LANAI PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING INTERIOR SECTIONS. OVER 
MAUI LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER THE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AS WELL 
AS OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER THE 
BIG ISLAND LOW CLOUD ARE BANKED UP OVER PORTIONS OF THE WINDWARD 
SLOPES FROM NORTH KOHALA SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE HILO AND PUNA 
DISTRICTS. PATCHES OF LOW CLOUDS CAN ALSO BE SEEN OVER PORTIONS OF 
THE SOUTHEAST KAU SLOPES.

THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS CENTERED ABOUT 350 MILES TO THE SOUTH OF 
SOUTH POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND. THE LOW LEVEL CENTER LIES JUST ON THE 
WEST SIDE OF THE DEEPEST CONVECTION. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE 
BEEN PULSING IN THIS AREA OVERNIGHT. WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS 
SOUTHWEST WINDS IN THE UPPER LEVELS OF THE ATMOSPHERE IN THE 
VICINITY OF THIS LOW. THIS IS DRAWING UP SOME THIN HIGH CIRRUS 
CLOUDS FROM THE TOPS OF THE DEEP CONVECTION. THIS LOW IS MOVING WEST 
AT AROUND 10 MPH. 

ELSEWHERE IN THE DEEP TROPICS ISOLATED DEEP CONVECTION LIES ALONG 
THE ITCZ WITH THE HIGHEST CONCENTRATION IN AN AREA FROM 08N TO 12N 
BETWEEN 143W AND 170W. INDIVIDUAL CLOUD CLUSTERS ARE MOVING OFF 
TOWARD THE WEST AT AROUND 15 MPH.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.