Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 19:30:15 -0500

809 
ATHW40 PHFO 230030
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU SEP 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 23 2010

AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS LIES AN EAST WEST ORIENTED BAND OF 
SHOWERY CLOUDS THAT IS PROVIDING THE VAST MAJORITY OF CLOUDS 
COVERAGE OVER THE ISLANDS THEMSELVES. THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS BAND 
IS OVER KAUAI WITH THE WEST EDGE EXTENDING FAR TO THE EAST NORTHEAST 
OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE GREATEST CONCENTRATION OF CLOUDS IS PRESENTLY 
OVER KAUAI AND THE KAUAI CHANNEL. THIS BAND OF CLOUDS HAS BECOME 
LESS ORGANIZED OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS.

OVER KAUAI LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING MOST EASTERN AND INTERIOR 
SECTIONS OF THE ISLAND WITH A FEW BREAKS OVER LEEWARD SECTIONS. OVER 
OAHU LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED UP OVER THE SLOPES AND SUMMITS OF BOTH 
THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE MOUNTAIN RANGES WITH SOME CLOUDS BEING BLOWN 
OVER LEEWARD AREAS AT TIMES. OVER MOLOKAI LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING 
EASTERN SECTIONS OF THE ISLAND WHILE OVER LANAI PATCHES OF LOW 
CLOUDS ARE COVERING INTERIOR SECTIONS. OVER MAUI LOW CLOUDS ARE 
BANKED UP OVER THE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AS WELL AS OVER THE SLOPES 
AND SUMMITS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS. OVER THE BIG ISLAND LOW 
CLOUD ARE BANKED UP OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES FROM NORTH KOHALA 
SOUTHWARD THROUGH THE HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS. ALSO DAYTIME HEATING 
HAS CAUSED LOW CLOUDS TO BUILD UP OVER THE KONA AND KAU SLOPES WITH 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS SEEN OVER THE LEEWARD KOHALA SLOPES.

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS CENTERED ABOUT 390 MILES TO THE SOUTH OF 
SOUTH POINT ON THE BIG ISLAND. THE LOW LEVEL CENTER LIES ON THE 
SOUTHWEST SIDE OF THE DEEPEST CONVECTION. CLOUD MOVEMENT WITH THIS 
SYSTEM ALSO INDICATE THAT THERE MAY BE A MID LEVEL CIRCULATION 
DISPLACED ABOUT 120 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF THE LOW LEVEL CENTER. 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEEN PULSING IN THIS AREA TODAY BUT IS 
LESS ORGANIZED THAN EARLIER. WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS SOUTHWEST 
WINDS IN THE UPPER LEVELS OF THE ATMOSPHERE IN THE VICINITY OF THIS 
LOW. THIS IS DRAWING UP SOME THIN HIGH CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM THE TOPS 
OF THE DEEP CONVECTION. THIS LOW IS MOVING WEST AT AROUND 10 MPH. 

ELSEWHERE IN THE DEEP TROPICS ISOLATED DEEP CONVECTION LIES ALONG 
THE ITCZ WITH THE HIGHEST CONCENTRATION IN AN AREA FROM 08N TO 12N 
BETWEEN 143W AND 170W. INDIVIDUAL CLOUD CLUSTERS ARE MOVING OFF 
TOWARD THE WEST AT AROUND 15 MPH.

$$

BURKE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.