Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 07:02:10 -0500

460 
ATHW40 PHFO 231202
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU SEP 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 23 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A COMPACT CENTER OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE 
UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 23N 172W. THIN HIGH CLOUD LAYERS WRAPPING 
AROUND THE LOW PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT TO MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN 
THE ITCZ BETWEEN 15N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS 
FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES FROM 19N TO 05N.

A CENTER OR TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE WAS EMBEDDED WITHIN THE ITCZ 
ABOUT 515 MILES SOUTH OF OAHU. THE LOW-LEVEL CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THIS FEATURE STILL SHOWED SOME ORGANIZATION...AND ITS THUNDERSTORM 
ACTIVITY MOVED CLOSER TO THE CENTER OF THE LOW CLOUD MOTION OVER THE 
PAST SIX HOURS...SUGGESTING MODEST STRENGTHENING. THIS FEATURE MOVED 
WEST AT AROUND 10 MILES AN HOUR.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI ORGANIZED INTO LOOSE CLUMPS OR BANDS 
UP TO ABOUT 700 MILES ACROSS...THOUGH INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI ALSO 
APPEARED THROUGHOUT. THESE CLOUDS HAD INCREASED IN AREAL COVERAGE 
WITH TIME OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. THEY GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 
6000 TO 10000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST TO WEST AT 
AROUND 15 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING 
NORTHEAST THROUGH EAST. REMNANTS OF LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS HAD DISSIPATED FOR THE MOST PART. THESE 
CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 4000 FEET TO 6000 FEET. RADAR 
DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS IN ISLAND LEE 
PLUME CLOUDS OFFSHORE WELL TO THE SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...OAHU...AND 
MAUI COUNTY...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.