Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:29:19 -0500

065 
ATHW40 PHFO 241829
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI SEP 24 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 24 2010

PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING WEST ACROSS KAUAI AND ACROSS 
WINDWARD SECTIONS OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND...AS WELL AS ACROSS 
WINDWARD WATERS ADJACENT TO THOSE ISLANDS. SKIES ARE GENERALLY 
SCATTERED ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE PATCH OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS KAUAI AFFECTS ITS EASTERN TWO-THIRDS. THE 
EASTERN TIP OF MAUI HAS BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WHILE WINDWARD SLOPES OF 
THE BIG ISLAND HAVE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS FROM HILO 
NORTHWARD. 

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE EXTENDS ROUGHLY THROUGH 
30N140W...26N160W AND 26N170W. TRADE FLOW ALONG THE SOUTHERN FLANK 
OF THE RIDGE IS RATHER SLUGGISH WEST OF 150W...WITH LOW CLOUDS 
MOVING WEST AT 10 TO 15 MPH ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
FARTHER TO THE NORTH...A 90 TO 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDS NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 
43N140W TO 36N150W TO 34N160W TO 32N170W TO 33N180W. MARKING A 
FRONTAL BOUNDARY...THIS CLOUD BAND IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST AT 30 
TO 40 MPH ALONG 40N. MOVEMENT IS MORE TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST AND SOUTH 
AT 10 MPH OR LESS WEST OF 160W.

TO THE SOUTH...ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...MARK THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE WITHIN A 120 MILE WIDE ARC FROM 08N140W TO 09N160W 
TO 12N170W TO 08N180W. A WEAK TROPICAL DISTURBANCE NEAR 13.5N161.2W 
IS MOVING WEST AT ABOUT 10 MPH. A SINGLE CB LIES JUST NORTHEAST OF 
THE CENTER OF CIRCULATION.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.