Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:19:13 -0500

549 
ATHW40 PHFO 260018
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN SEP 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 26 2010

A WEAK FRONT PUSHING SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE NORTHERN FRINGES OF THE 
AREA IS ERODING THE THE SURFACE RIDGE CONTROLLING THE TRADE WIND 
FLOW ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

THE RAGGED FRONT IS COMPRISED OF A 150 TO 175 MILE-WIDE BAND OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS STRETCHING 
ALONG 30N153W...27N164W...AND 29N177W. THE BROAD UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGH DRIVING THE FRONT LIES WELL NORTH OF 30N...LEAVING LITTLE 
UPPER LEVEL SUPPORT FOR THE FRONT WHICH IS DRIFTING TO THE SOUTH AT 
LESS THAN 10 MPH.

THE FRONT HAS WEAKENED AND DISPLACED THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE SOUTHWARD 
TO JUST OVER 200 MILES NORTH OF KAUAI. THE TRADE WIND FLOW AROUND 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IS DOMINATED BY FEW TO SCATTERED CUMULUS 
CLOUDS...THOUGH A SMALL CLUSTER OF BROKEN CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUDS IS SKIRTING JUST NORTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. LOW CLOUDS ARE 
TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST NORTHEAST AROUND 15 NEAR THE SMALLER 
ISLANDS...INCREASING TO 20 MPH SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND.

THE TRADE WIND FLOW IS PRODUCING SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER 
THE TYPICAL WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE STATE. AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES 
HAVE LED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ACROSS SHELTERED...LEEWARD SLOPES OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THIS 
EFFECT IS MORE PRONOUNCED ON THE BIG ISLAND...WHERE BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS BLANKET THE KAU...SOUTH KONA...AND NORTH KONA 
DISTRICTS BELOW 8 KFT. 

THE PATTERN ALOFT OVER THE REGION IS COMPLEX BUT WEAK BETWEEN 30N 
AND 20N. AN UPPER LOW JUST WEST OF 180 GIVES WAY TO A WEAK UPPER 
RIDGE CENTERED ALONG 168W...FOLLOWED BY A WEAK UPPER LOW JUST 
NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND NEAR 20N156W THAT IS HAVING LITTLE 
EFFECT ON THE CLOUD FIELD AROUND THE ISLANDS. FARTHER EAST A 
STRONG UPPER RIDGE DOMINATES. THIS ENTIRE PATTERN IS SHIFTING 
WESTWARD SLOWLY.

A SMALL AND WEAK TROPICAL DISTURBANCE NEAR 11N168W IS MOVING AWAY 
FROM THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST NEAR 20 MPH. 
THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 46 KFT CONTINUE TO FLARE WITHIN THIS 
WEAK SYSTEM. 

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.