Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 13:44:40 -0500

665 
ATHW40 PHFO 261844
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN SEP 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 26 2010

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE IN CLOUD COVER AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS SINCE LATE LAST NIGHT.

CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS OF KAUAI COUNTY AND OAHU WITH 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI AND 
OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS ON OAHU. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOLOKAI 
AND LANAI. THERE ARE SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE 
SLOPES OF WINDWARD WEST MAUI AND OVER EAST MAUI ABOVE HANA. CLOUDS 
ARE ISOLATED ELSEWHERE OVER MAUI. OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST OF 
THE EAST SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM UPOLU POINT TO HILO TO SOUTH 
CAPE EXCEPT FOR SCATTERED CLOUDS BETWEEN WAIPIO VALLEY AND OOKALA 
AND ISOLATED CLOUDS NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI. THERE IS ALSO AN AREA OF 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE WEST SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM 
KEALAKEKUA TO KEAHOLE POINT. THE LOW CLOUDS ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE 
BIG ISLAND EXTEND UPSLOPE INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE HUMUULA SADDLE...TO 
ABOUT 6000 FEET OF ELEVATION. SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER THE REST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST 
AT 15 MPH. THERE ARE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
MAUI AND OAHU...WITH SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF MOLOKAI AND 
KAUAI. THE CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS ARE PART OF A LARGE AREA 
EAST OF A LINE FROM 14N140W TO THE WINDWARD SIDES OF THE ISLANDS TO 
29N140W. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOSTLY STABLE STRATOCUMULUS WITH ISOLATED 
MODERATE CUMULUS CLOUDS MIXED IN. RADARS SHOW ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS 
UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND...MAUI AND OAHU.

A 120 TO 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS...THE 
REMNANT OF A FRONT IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N150W TO 180 MILES 
NORTH NORTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 23N167W TO 26N180W. THE PART OF THE BAND 
NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST 
SEVERAL HOURS WHILE THE PART WEST OF THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARDS THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 MPH.

A 350 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS...SCATTERED TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS AND ISOLATED TO SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB... 
ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE IS SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 
13N140W TO 13N167W TO 10N180W. A 200 MILE DIAMETER CLUSTER OF CB 
ASSOCIATED WITH A SMALL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE IS CENTERED NEAR 
09N172W. THE DISTURBANCE HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AROUND 
10 MPH.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT 180 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU NEAR 19N159W. 
THERE ARE NO HIGH CLOUDS AROUND THE LOW SO THE LOW CAN BE SEEN ON 
WATER VAPOR IMAGERY BUT NOT ON VISIBLE OR WINDOW IR IMAGERY.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.