Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:33:26 -0500

124 
ATHW40 PHFO 270032
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON SEP 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 27 2010

SINCE THIS MORNING CLOUD COVER HAD DECREASED OVER WATER AROUND THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND INCREASED OVER THE ISLANDS THEMSELVES.

CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED OVER KAUAI COUNTY EXCEPT FOR BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
OVER THE NORTHWEST THIRD OF KAUAI. THERE ARE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS AND THE WEST THIRD OF OAHU WITH 
SCATTERED CLOUDS ELSEWHERE ON THE ISLAND. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS COVER MOST AREAS OF MAUI COUNTY AND THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII. 
THESE CLOUDS EXTEND UP TO ABOUT 10000 FEET OF ELEVATION AND BLANKET 
THE HUMUULA SADDLE BETWEEN MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. SKIES ARE CLEAR 
OVER THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA AND ALONG SOME COASTAL 
AREAS.

CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS OF KAUAI COUNTY AND OAHU WITH 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI AND 
OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS ON OAHU. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MOLOKAI 
AND LANAI. THERE ARE SMALL PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE 
SLOPES OF WINDWARD WEST MAUI AND OVER EAST MAUI ABOVE HANA. CLOUDS 
ARE ISOLATED ELSEWHERE OVER MAUI. OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MOST OF 
THE EAST SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM UPOLU POINT TO HILO TO SOUTH 
CAPE EXCEPT FOR SCATTERED CLOUDS BETWEEN WAIPIO VALLEY AND OOKALA 
AND ISOLATED CLOUDS NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI. THERE IS ALSO AN AREA OF 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALONG THE WEST SIDE OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM 
KEALAKEKUA TO KEAHOLE POINT. THE LOW CLOUDS ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE 
BIG ISLAND EXTEND UPSLOPE INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE HUMUULA SADDLE...TO 
ABOUT 6000 FEET OF ELEVATION. SKIES ARE CLEAR OVER THE REST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND.

LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST 
AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THERE ARE ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF KAUAI... 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF OAHU...AND SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOSTLY 
STABLE STRATOCUMULUS WITH ISOLATED MODERATE CUMULUS CLOUDS MIXED IN. 
RADARS SHOW SCATTERED MODERATE SHOWERS IN AN EAST TO WEST LINE 80 
MILES SOUTH OF KAUAI AND ALONG A NARROW LINE EXTENDING WEST FROM 
LAAU POINT ON MOLOKAI. 

A 100 TO 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS...THE 
REMNANT OF A FRONT...IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N150W TO 250 MILES 
NORTH NORTHWEST OF KAUAI TO 22N167W TO 25N180W. THE PART OF THE BAND 
NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST 
SEVERAL HOURS WHILE THE PART WEST OF THE ISLANDS HAS BEEN MOVING 
TOWARDS THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 MPH.

ANOTHER FRONTAL BAND...A 130 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS...IS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 30N160W TO 28N170W TO 30N178W. THIS 
BAND HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH AT 20 MPH.

A 350 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS ALONG THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE...ITCZ...IS SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 
14N140W TO 13N160W TO 10N180W. THERE ARE SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS 
CLOUDS WITHIN THE BAND EAST OF 150W AND SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS... CB...WEST OF 150W. A 200 MILE DIAMETER CLUSTER OF CB 
ASSOCIATED WITH A SMALL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE IS CENTERED NEAR 
08N173W. THE DISTURBANCE HAS BECOME WEAK AND IS NEARLY 
INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM THE REST OF THE ITCZ.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY...WHICH SHOWS FEATURES MAINLY ABOVE 24000 FT... 
SHOWS A LOW ALOFT 270 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI NEAR 18N161W. 
THERE ARE NO HIGH CLOUDS AROUND THE LOW SO THE LOW CAN BE SEEN ON 
WATER VAPOR IMAGERY BUT NOT ON VISIBLE OR WINDOW IR IMAGERY.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.