Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 00:20:16 -0500

053 
ATHW40 PHFO 270519
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON SEP 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 27 2010

TWO PARALLEL CLOUD BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS THE 
OCEAN NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE PRIMARY FRONTAL CLOUD 
BAND WAS LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 178W TO 28N 
169W TO 30N 159W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. A PRE-FRONTAL CLOUD BAND WAS 
LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 165W TO 27N 155W TO 
30N 150W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST...THOUGH CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUD FRAGMENTS FURTHER TO THE WEST AND NORTHWEST SHOWED SIGNS OF 
MERGING INTO AN EXTENSION OF THIS BAND. BOTH FEATURES CONSISTED OF 
NEARLY SOLID MIDDLE TO LOW CLOUD LAYERS...AND SHIFTED TOWARD THE 
SOUTHEAST SLOWLY.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 13N AND 03N...MOSTLY WEST OF 154W. ALTHOUGH SEVERAL WEAK 
CENTERS OF LOW PRESSURE WERE PRESENT IN THE ITCZ...THEY DID NOT 
APPEAR TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH PERSISTENT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. 
LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER 
CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 14N TO 03N...AND 
PARTLY AS FAR AS 17N.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A CENTER OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE JUST TO THE SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS 
LOW SLIGHTLY ENHANCED SHOWERS FROM ISLAND LEE PLUMES PASSING UNDER 
IT...BUT HAD LITTLE EFFECT OTHERWISE.

ELSEWHERE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
LOOSE BANDS OR CLUMPS OF MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI LOCATED 
BETWEEN THE CURVE FROM 19N 180 TO 22N 156W TO 29N 140W...AND THE 
CURVE FROM 11N 180 TO 17N 164W TO 15N 152W TO 18N 140W. THE CLUMPS 
VARIED IN SIZE FROM INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI TO ONE LARGE CLUMP ABOUT 
450 MILES LONG AND 350 MILES WIDE. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO 
HEIGHTS OF 8000 TO 10000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST TO 
WEST AT AROUND 10 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS AND THEIR LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS OVER 
HIGHER TERRAIN INLAND...THOUGH A FEW MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI 
ALSO MOVED ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING EAST. AREAS WITH THE GREATEST 
CLOUD COVER INCLUDED NORTHWEST KAUAI...BOTH MOUNTAIN RANGES ON 
OAHU...CENTRAL MOLOKAI...CENTRAL LANAI...THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS... 
NORTHWEST THROUGH NORTHEAST SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...AND MOST 
OF THE BIG ISLAND EXCEPT FOR THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. 
THESE CLOUDS VARIED IN HEIGHT FROM AROUND 3000 FEET TO NEAR 9000 
FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS 
OFFSHORE IN THE LEE PLUME SOUTHWEST OF MAUI COUNTY...BUT ISOLATED 
SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.