Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 07:02:38 -0500

090 
ATHW40 PHFO 271202
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC MON SEP 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 27 2010

TWO PARALLEL CLOUD BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH A FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS THE 
OCEAN NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE PRIMARY FRONTAL CLOUD 
BAND WAS LOCATED WITHIN 90 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 29N 180 TO 26N 
171W TO 30N 155W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST. A PRE-FRONTAL CLOUD BAND WAS 
LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 24N 167W TO 27N 154W TO 
30N 149W AND FURTHER NORTHEAST...THOUGH CUMULUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUD FRAGMENTS FURTHER TO THE WEST SHOWED SIGNS OF MERGING INTO AN 
EXTENSION OF THIS BAND. BOTH FEATURES CONSISTED PRIMARILY OF NEARLY 
SOLID MIDDLE TO LOW CLOUD LAYERS...THOUGH THE PRE-FRONTAL BAND 
INCLUDED SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS OF STRATOCUMULUS CLOUDS. THESE BANDS 
SHIFTED TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST SLOWLY.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 13N AND 05N...MOSTLY WEST OF 150W. ALTHOUGH SEVERAL WEAK 
CENTERS OF LOW PRESSURE WERE PRESENT IN THE ITCZ...THEY DID NOT 
APPEAR TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH PERSISTENT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. 
LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER 
CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 14N TO 03N...AND 
PARTLY BETWEEN 19N AND THE EQUATOR.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A CENTER OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE JUST TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
THIS LOW SLIGHTLY ENHANCED SHOWERS FROM ISLAND LEE PLUMES PASSING 
UNDER IT...BUT HAD LITTLE EFFECT OTHERWISE.

ELSEWHERE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
LOOSE BANDS OR CLUMPS OF MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI LOCATED 
BETWEEN THE CURVE FROM 20N 180 TO 19N 170W TO 27N 146W TO 30N 
140W...AND THE CURVE FROM 17N 180 TO 15N 168W TO 16N 151W TO 17N 
140W. THESE CLUMPS VARIED IN SIZE FROM INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI TO A 
NEARLY SOLID OVERCAST LOCATED NORTH OF 20N AND EAST OF 150W. THESE 
CLOUDS HAD EXPANDED IN AREAL COVERAGE OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. THEY 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 8000 TO 10000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD 
THE SOUTHWEST TO WEST AT AROUND 10 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING 
EAST...ESPECIALLY ON OAHU...MOLOKAI...AND MAUI. LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS ON SUNDAY HAD DISSIPATED FOR 
THE MOST PART. THESE CLOUDS VARIED CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 
AROUND 3000 FEET TO NEAR 10000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE 
ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OFFSHORE SURROUNDING OAHU AND TO 
THE NORTH CLOCKWISE THROUGH SOUTHEAST OF MAUI COUNTY AND THE BIG 
ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.