Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:37:47 -0500

939 
ATHW40 PHFO 271837
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON SEP 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC SEPTEMBER 27 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED NEAR 
20N165W OR 400 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
THIS TROUGH IS MOVING WEST AT 20 MPH. AN UPPER LEVEL JET ON THE 
SOUTHEAST SIDE OF THE TROUGH IS LIFTING HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE NORTH 
FROM THE TROPICS ACROSS THE AREA SOUTH OF 20N BETWEEN THE TROUGH AND 
150W. AN UPPER RIDGE DOMINATES FROM THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS EAST. 

A LARGE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND STRETCHES ACROSS THE NORTHERN PORTION OF 
THE AREA.  THE 200 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND STRETCHES FROM 30N153W TO 
27N160W TO 25N170W TO 27N180...CROSSING THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS BETWEEN FRENCH FRIGATE SHOALS AND LISIANSKI. THE CLOUDS 
WITH THIS BAND ARE MAINLY LOW TOPPED CUMULUS WITH HIGHEST TOPS NEAR 
12000 FEET. ABOUT 250 MILES SOUTH OF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND THERE IS 
ANOTHER NARROWER CLOUD BAND WHICH EVENTUALLY MERGES WITH THE MAIN 
FRONTAL BAND NEAR 30N. NORTH OF THE FRONTAL BAND...BROKEN COLD AIR 
CUMULUS COVERS THE REGION. 

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FOUND EMBEDDED IN BROKEN CLOUD LAYERS 
ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF 13N BETWEEN 150W 
AND 170W. HIGHEST CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 50000 FEET.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SKIES ARE MAINLY CLEAR. ONLY BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER EASTERN PUNA DISTRICT AND COAST ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...THE HANA COAST OF EASTERN MAUI...AND ALONG THE WINDWARD 
COAST OF OAHU AND KAUAI. MORE LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE WINDWARD 
COASTAL WATERS AND IN A LARGE PLUME OF CLOUDS LOCATED ABOUT 100 
MILES WEST OF KONA ON THE BIG ISLAND AND 80 MILES SOUTH OF OAHU. 
CLOUD MOTIONS WERE TO THE SOUTHWEST AT ABOUT 10 MPH.

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.