Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 19:51:18 -0500

367 
ATHW40 PHFO 280050
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE SEP 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 28 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED NEAR 
20N167W OR 500 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
THIS TROUGH IS MOVING WEST AT 20 MPH. AN UPPER LEVEL JET ON THE 
SOUTHEAST SIDE OF THE TROUGH IS LIFTING HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE NORTH 
FROM THE TROPICS ACROSS THE AREA SOUTH OF 20N BETWEEN THE TROUGH AND 
150W. AN UPPER RIDGE DOMINATES THE AREA FROM THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
EAST. 

A LARGE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND STRETCHES ACROSS THE NORTHERN PORTION OF 
THE AREA.  THE 200 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND STRETCHES FROM 30N153W TO 
27N160W TO 25N170W TO 27N180...CROSSING THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS BETWEEN FRENCH FRIGATE SHOALS AND LISIANSKI. THE CLOUDS 
WITH THIS BAND ARE MAINLY LOW TOPPED CUMULUS WITH HIGHEST TOPS NEAR 
12000 FEET. ABOUT 250 MILES SOUTH OF THE MAIN CLOUD BAND THERE IS 
ANOTHER NARROWER CLOUD BAND WHICH EVENTUALLY MERGES WITH THE MAIN 
FRONTAL BAND NEAR 30N. NORTH OF THE FRONTAL BAND...BROKEN COLD AIR 
CUMULUS COVERS THE REGION. 

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FOUND EMBEDDED IN BROKEN CLOUD LAYERS 
ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF 13N BETWEEN 150W 
AND 170W. HIGHEST CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 50000 FEET.

OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE COVERING THE 
BIG ISLAND SLOPES BELOW 9000 FEET AND ACROSS THE COASTS EXCEPT PUNA 
DISTRICT AND SOUTH POINT WHICH ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
COVERS ALL OF THE INTERIOR OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS...EXCEPT THE 
KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF OAHU AND THE WINDWARD OAHU COAST...AND THE 
EASTERN AND SOUTHERN KAUAI COAST WHERE SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR. 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE COASTAL WATERS SURROUNDING 
THE BIG ISLAND WITH MAINLY CLEAR SKIES ELSEWHERE OVER THE COASTAL 
WATERS. CLOUDS ARE MOVING WEST AT 5 TO 10 MPH IN AREAS FREE OF 
TERRAIN. 

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.