Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 00:19:03 -0500

088 
ATHW40 PHFO 280518
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE SEP 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 28 2010

THE MOST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC 
IS A 200 TO 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 35N140W TO 30N144W. THIS BAND EXTENDS 
FARTHER TO THE SOUTHWEST AS A BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
NORTH OF A LINE THROUGH 26N150W...24N160W...23N170W AND 23N175W. 
MARKING A FRONTAL BOUNDARY...THIS CLOUD BAND IS MOVING TOWARD THE 
EAST SLOWLY EAST OF 150W...AND DRIFTING TOWARD THE SOUTH ALONG THAT 
PORTION WEST OF 150W. THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE CLOUD BAND IS ABOUT 
115 MILES NORTH OF THE ISLAND OF KAUAI. 

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS RATHER SLUGGISH EAST TO WEST FLOW ACROSS THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING...WITH VERY LITTLE IN THE WAY OF 
LOW CLOUDS OVER LOCAL WATERS. MAUKA SECTIONS OF KAUAI AND OAHU HAVE 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS...WHILE MOLOKAI AND LANAI HAVE LINGERING BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ACROSS MAUKA AREAS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL HALEAKALA 
SLOPES ON MAUI AS WELL AS LEEWARD SLOPES OF WEST MAUI. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER ALL BIG ISLAND SLOPES...BUT THIS CLOUD 
COVER IS BEGINNING TO SLOUGH OFF ACROSS LEEWARD WATERS AS EVENING 
COOLING SETS IN.

TO THE SOUTH...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...COVER SKIES NORTH OF A LINE FROM 
07N140W TO 09N160W TO 04N180W...AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 13N140W TO 
15N160W TO 17N165W TO 09N180W. MOST OF THE CB ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN 
THIS CLOUD AREA BETWEEN 151W AND 175W.

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LOW CENTERED NEAR 20N166W...ABOUT 
600 MILES WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW 
ALONG THE EASTERN FLANK OF THIS UPPER LOW IS PUSHING BROKEN HIGH 
CLOUDS AS FAR NORTH AS 20N BETWEEN 162W AND 165W. BREAKAWAY HIGH 
CLOUD ELEMENTS GET PUSHED OVER THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AS WELL FROM 
TIME TO TIME.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.