Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 07:25:24 -0500

900 
ATHW40 PHFO 281224
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE SEP 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 28 2010

THE MOST NOTICEABLE CLOUD FEATURE ACROSS THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC 
REMAINS A 200 TO 300 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED 
CLOUDS NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 34N140W TO 30N143W. THIS BAND 
EXTENDS FARTHER TO THE SOUTHWEST AS A BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS NORTH OF A LINE THROUGH 26N147W...24N155W...25N170W AND 
22N176W. MARKING A FRONTAL BOUNDARY...THIS CLOUD BAND IS MOVING 
TOWARD THE EAST SLOWLY EAST OF 150W...AND DRIFTING TOWARD THE SOUTH 
ALONG THAT PORTION WEST OF 150W. THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE CLOUD BAND 
IS ABOUT 120 MILES NORTH OF THE ISLAND OF KAUAI. 

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS RATHER SLUGGISH EAST TO WEST FLOW ACROSS THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING...WITH VERY LITTLE IN THE WAY OF 
LOW CLOUDS OVER LOCAL WATERS. CLOUD COVER HAS ALMOST DISAPPEARED 
ACROSS THE ISLANDS AS WELL SINCE LAST EVENING...WITH SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS TO CLEAR SKIES NOTED ALMOST EVERYWHERE. LOCAL OBSERVATIONS 
SUGGEST BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LINGER IN PLACES ALONG THE KONA SHORELINE 
OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW VERY LITTLE CLOUD COVER 
THERE. 

TO THE SOUTH...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...COVER SKIES WITHIN A 180 MILE WIDE BAND 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 08N140W TO 08N160W...AND FROM 05N171W TO 
03N180W. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS FORM A BROADER AREA BETWEEN 160W AND 
171W...EXTENDING NORTH TO 20N BETWEEN 163W AND 167W. 

WATER VAPOR LOOP SHOWS AN UPPER LOW CENTERED NEAR 20N168W...ABOUT 
700 MILES WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. IT IS THE SOUTHWESTERLY 
FLOW ALONG THE EASTERN FLANK OF THIS UPPER LOW THAT IS PUSHING 
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS AS FAR NORTH AS 20N BETWEEN 163W AND 167W. 
BREAKAWAY HIGH CLOUD ELEMENTS GET PUSHED OVER THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
AS WELL FROM TIME TO TIME.

$$

POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.