Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:38:04 -0500

819 
ATHW40 PHFO 290037
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED SEP 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC SEPTEMBER 29 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED NEAR 
23N173W...MOVING WEST NORTHWEST AT 20 MPH. ANOTHER BROAD UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGH IS SAGGING SOUTH ALONG 150W FROM 24N TO NORTH OF 30N. A 
SOUTHERLY UPPER LEVEL JET IS POSITIONED EAST OF THE FIRST TROUGH AND 
IS TRANSPORTING HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE NORTHWARD FROM THE TROPICS 
BETWEEN 161W AND 167W SOUTH OF 23N. 

ALL OF THESE UPPER LEVEL FEATURES ARE AFFECTING THE LOWER LEVEL 
CLOUD FEATURES AS A WEAK FRONTAL BOUNDARY IS DRAPED EAST TO WEST  
ACROSS THE REGION NORTH OF 24N. THE MOST ACTIVE CLOUDS AND SHOWERS 
ALONG THE FRONT ARE LOCATED ON THE FAR WEST END WHERE THE UPPER 
TROUGH IS INTERACTING WITH THE FRONTAL FEATURE TO CREATE SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS UP TO 40000 FEET WEST OF 173W BETWEEN 26N 
AND 21N. THE REST OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND THAT STRETCHES FROM 
26N173W TO 25N160W TO 24N150W TO 30N142W...IS ABOUT 200 MILES WIDE 
AND IS COMPOSED OF LOW TOPPED CUMULUS. CLOUD TOPS IN THIS BAND ARE 
AS HIGH AS 12000 TO 14000 FEET. THIS PORTION OF THE FRONTAL 
BOUNDARY...CURRENTLY LOCATED AROUND 170 MILES NORTH OF OAHU...IS 
MOVING SOUTH AT 5 TO 10 MPH. 

SCATTERED TO ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE FOUND ALONG THE SOUTHERN 
BORDER OF THE AREA SOUTH OF 13N ASSOCIATED WITH THE MAIN CONVERGENCE 
ZONE ALONG 09N-10N. HIGHEST CLOUD TOPS ARE 50000 FEET. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED 
OVER CENTRAL AND WESTERN TWO-THIRDS OF KAUAI...OVER THE WESTERN 
HALF OF OAHU...THE LEEWARD SIDE OF MOLOKAI...LANAI AND HALEAKALA ON 
MAUI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO COVERING THE LEEWARD SLOPES OF THE 
BIG ISLAND FROM NEAR WAIMEA TO KONA TO SOUTH POINT AND OVER KAU 
DISTRICT SLOPES TO NEAR VOLCANO. ELSEWHERE OVER THE ISLANDS AND 
COASTAL WATERS...ONLY A FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND 
DRIFTING SOUTHWEST AT 5 TO 10 MPH.  

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.