Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 00:24:25 -0500

165 
ATHW40 PHFO 290524
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED SEP 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 29 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE CENTERED NEAR 23N 174W. ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI AND 
PROBABLE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPED ALONG THE NORTHWEST THROUGH NORTH 
EDGES OF THE LOW...PRODUCING PLENTIFUL MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS 
THAT MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN THE CURVE FROM 
27N 178W TO 27N 171W TO 23N 175W TO 19N 175W TO 21N 180 TO 26N 178W. 
THE LOW AND ITS ASSOCIATED CLOUDS DRIFTED WEST SLOWLY.

A SLOWLY DISSIPATING BAND OF CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAKENING 
FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 100 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 26N 180 TO 29N 174W TO 26N 166W TO 25N 160W TO 23N 154W TO 28N 
143W TO 30N 141W AND FURTHER NORTH. THIS FEATURE CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MIDDLE TO LOW CLOUD LAYERS. DIFFERENT PARTS OF IT MOVED IN DIFFERENT 
DIRECTIONS...WITH THE NORTHWEST END DRIFTING WEST SLOWLY...AND THE 
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST PARTS FLOWING SOUTH AT 5 TO 10 MILES AN HOUR.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT TO MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN 
THE ITCZ BETWEEN 16N AND 06N. ALTHOUGH SEVERAL WEAK CENTERS OF LOW 
PRESSURE WERE PRESENT IN THE ITCZ...THEY DID NOT APPEAR TO BE 
ASSOCIATED WITH PERSISTENT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. LAYERED MIDDLE TO 
HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 15N TO 05N...AND PARTLY BETWEEN 19N AND 02N.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
LOOSE BANDS OR CLUMPS OF MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI WITHIN 100 
MILES OF THE LINE FROM 20N 171W TO 22N 164W...AND NORTHEAST OF THE 
CURVE FROM 29N 140W TO 23N 145W TO 20N 153W TO 14N 143W TO 17N 140W. 
THESE CLUMPS VARIED IN SIZE FROM INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI UP TO ABOUT 
200 MILES ACROSS. THEY GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 8000 TO 10000 
FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST TO WEST SLOWLY.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS AND THEIR LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS OVER 
HIGHER TERRAIN INLAND. AREAS WITH THE GREATEST CLOUD COVER INCLUDED 
THE NORTHWEST TWO THIRDS OF KAUAI...WEST CENTRAL OAHU...INLAND 
LANAI...MIDDLE SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...MOST MIDDLE SLOPES OF 
THE BIG ISLAND...AND MOST LOWER SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND CLOCKWISE 
FROM KAU DISTRICT TO SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICT. THESE CLOUDS VARIED 
CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 4000 FEET TO 10000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM 
NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED LITTLE PRECIPITATION.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.