Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:10:12 -0500

778 
ATHW40 PHFO 291209
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED SEP 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 29 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE CENTERED NEAR 23N 174W. ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULI AND 
PROBABLE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPED ALONG THE NORTHWEST THROUGH NORTH 
EDGES OF THE LOW...PRODUCING PLENTIFUL MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS 
THAT MOSTLY TO PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN THE CURVE FROM 
28N 174W TO 26N 174W TO 22N 177W TO 24N 180 TO 27N 178W. THE LOW AND 
ITS ASSOCIATED CLOUDS DRIFTED WEST SLOWLY.

A CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAKENING FRONT SPREAD OUT AS IT 
DISSIPATED SLOWLY NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THIS FEATURE 
EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 
28N 178W TO 29N 176W TO 24N 160W...WITHIN 150 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 24N 160W TO 23N 151W TO 27N 145W...AND WITHIN 45 MILES OF THE 
CURVE FROM 27N 145W TO 30N 141W AND FURTHER NORTH. THIS FEATURE 
CONSISTED MOSTLY OF MIDDLE TO LOW CLOUD LAYERS. DIFFERENT PARTS OF 
IT MOVED IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS...WITH THE NORTHWEST END DRIFTING 
WEST SLOWLY...AND THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST PARTS FLOWING SOUTH AT 5 
TO 10 MILES AN HOUR. COLD-AIR CUMULI MERGING INTO CLUMPS OR BANDS 
PARALLEL TO THE MAIN FRONTAL CLOUD BAND PREVAILED BETWEEN IT AND 30N.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT TO MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN 
THE ITCZ BETWEEN 17N AND 06N. ALTHOUGH SEVERAL WEAK CENTERS OF LOW 
PRESSURE WERE PRESENT IN THE ITCZ...THEY DID NOT APPEAR TO BE 
ASSOCIATED WITH PERSISTENT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. LAYERED MIDDLE TO 
HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 17N TO 05N...AND PARTLY BETWEEN 20N AND 01N.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
LOOSE BANDS OR CLUMPS OF MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI NEAR 20N 
170W...AND WITHIN 250 MILES OF THE LINE FROM 12N 151W TO 22N 140W. 
THESE CLUMPS VARIED IN SIZE FROM INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI UP TO ABOUT 
120 MILES ACROSS. THEY GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 8000 TO 10000 
FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST TO WEST SLOWLY.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
STRATUS LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND MOVING ASHORE 
ALONG NORTH SLOPES OF OAHU. LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON 
CUMULUS BUILDUPS ON TUESDAY HAD DISSIPATED FOR THE MOST PART... 
EXCEPT ALONG LOWER SOUTHWEST SLOPES OF SOUTH KONA AND KAU DISTRICTS 
ON THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS VARIED CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 
3000 FEET TO 10000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED 
SCATTERED SHOWERS OFFSHORE WELL NORTH OF MAUI COUNTY...ISOLATED 
SHOWERS OFFSHORE WELL NORTH OF OAHU...AND ISOLATED SHOWERS OFFSHORE 
IN THE LEE PLUME TO THE WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT LITTLE 
PRECIPITATION OTHERWISE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.