Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 00:29:48 -0500

943 
ATHW40 PHFO 300529
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU SEP 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC SEPTEMBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE CENTERED NEAR 26N 176W. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPED 
UNDER THE LOW CENTER...PRODUCING MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS THAT 
PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WEST OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 
180 TO 28N 177W TO 25N 174W TO 20N 180. THE LOW AND ITS ASSOCIATED 
CLOUDS DRIFTED WEST SLOWLY.

A DISSIPATING BAND OF CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A WEAKENING FRONT 
EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 120 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 
28N 180 TO 28N 177W TO 22N 155W TO 22N 151W TO 30N 140W AND FURTHER 
NORTHEAST. THIS FEATURE CONSISTED MOSTLY OF FRAGMENTED LOW TO MIDDLE 
CLOUD LAYERS. DIFFERENT PARTS OF IT MOVED IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS... 
WITH THE NORTHWEST END DRIFTING WEST SLOWLY...AND THE CENTRAL PART 
FLOWING SOUTH SLOWLY. STRATOCUMULI MERGING INTO CLUMPS OR BANDS 
PARALLEL TO THE MAIN FRONTAL CLOUD BAND PREVAILED BETWEEN IT AND 30N.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 17N AND 07N. ALTHOUGH SEVERAL WEAK CENTERS OF LOW PRESSURE 
WERE PRESENT IN THE ITCZ...THEY DID NOT APPEAR TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH 
PERSISTENT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES FROM 19N TO 05N...AND PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES AS FAR 
NORTH AS 25N...ESPECIALLY TO THE WEST OF 170W.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF 
LOOSE BANDS OR CLUMPS OF MARINE STRATOCUMULI AND CUMULI NEAR 21N 
170W...AND NEAR 22N 143W. THESE CLUMPS VARIED IN SIZE FROM 
INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI UP TO FEATURES ABOUT 200 MILES LONG AND 90 
MILES ACROSS. THEY GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 8000 TO 10000 
FEET...AND REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
STRATUS LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND MOVING ASHORE 
ALONG NORTH SLOPES...ALTHOUGH AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS AND THEIR 
LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS WERE IMPORTANT AS WELL OVER HIGHER TERRAIN 
INLAND...ESPECIALLY OVER SLOPES FACING SOUTH THROUGH WEST. AREAS 
WITH THE LEAST CLOUD COVER WERE LIMITED MAINLY TO THE CENTRAL 
ISTHMUS OF MAUI...THE WEST COAST OF NORTH KOHALA DISTRICT ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ON THE BIG ISLAND... 
AND THE COAST OF SOUTH HILO...PUNA...AND KAU DISTRICTS ON THE BIG 
ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS VARIED CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 3000 FEET TO 
12000 FEET...THOUGH THE LAYERED CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL 
CLOUD BAND MORE UNIFORMLY APPROACHED THE HIGHER END OF THAT RANGE. 
RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED AREAS OF RAIN WITHIN A 
REGION 100 MILES WIDE STRETCHING FROM WEST OF NIIHAU ACROSS SOUTH 
KAUAI...OAHU...AND NORTH PARTS OF MAUI COUNTY...BUT LITTLE 
PRECIPITATION OTHERWISE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.