Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:19:13 -0500

788 
ATHW40 PHFO 301219
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU SEP 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC SEPTEMBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE CENTERED NEAR 26N 177W. ALTHOUGH THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY 
UNDER THIS FEATURE HAD STOPPED EAST OF 180...THIN LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM EARLIER CONVECTION STILL PARTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES 
WEST OF THE CURVE FROM 27N 180 TO 26N 175W TO 21N 180. THE LOW AND 
ITS ASSOCIATED CLOUDS DRIFTED WEST SLOWLY.

THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND FORMERLY LOCATED OVER HAWAIIAN WATERS HAD 
FRAGMENTED TO THE POINT WHERE IT NO LONGER COULD BE DISTINGUISHED 
FROM THE MARINE STRATOCUMULI LOCATED NORTH AND SOUTHEAST OF IT. 
LOOSE BANDS AND CLUMPS OF THESE CLOUDS UP TO 200 MILES WIDE AND 1200 
MILES LONG NOW PREVAILED NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 27N 180 TO 19N 156W 
TO 19N 140W. INDIVIDUAL SMALL CUMULI ALSO WERE PRESENT THROUGHOUT 
THE AREA. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 8000 TO 12000 
FEET...AND DRIFTED SOUTH SLOWLY.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 19N AND 06N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES MOSTLY FROM 19N TO 
05N...AND PARTLY AS FAR NORTH AS 25N TO THE WEST OF 170W.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
STRATUS LAYERS AND CUMULUS FRAGMENTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FORMER 
FRONTAL CLOUD BAND MOVING ASHORE ALONG NORTH SLOPES. THE GREATEST 
MASS OF CLOUD COVER HAD PASSED SOUTH OF MAUI COUNTY AND NOW 
APPROACHED THE BIG ISLAND...BUT THE CUMULI APPROACHING OAHU SHOWED 
MORE VERTICAL DEVELOPMENT...SUGGESTING STRONGER SHOWERS. THESE 
CLOUDS VARIED CONSIDERABLY IN HEIGHT FROM 3000 FEET TO 13000 FEET... 
THOUGH THE CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND MORE 
UNIFORMLY APPROACHED THE HIGHER END OF THAT RANGE. RADAR DATA FROM 
NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED AREAS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY RAIN IN THE KAUAI 
CHANNEL AND OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST OF OAHU...BUT LITTLE 
PRECIPITATION OTHERWISE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.