Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 19:36:13 -0500

415 
ATHW40 PHFO 010036
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI OCT 01 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 01 2010

A MASS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST SHOWERY CUMULUS /CU/ AND STRATOCUMULUS 
/SC/ LIES OVER WATERS TO THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS FROM 
KAUAI TO MAUI...AND IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST AT ABOUT 10 MPH. 
THIS CLOUD AREA APPEARS TO HAVE A WEAK SURFACE REFLECTION...WITH A 
LOW-LEVEL TROUGH AXIS LOCATED ABOUT 50 MILES NORTHEAST OF OAHU. WITH 
THE TROUGH IN THIS LOCATION...LOCALLY BREEZY NORTH-NORTHEAST WINDS 
ARE OVER KAUAI AND ADJACENT WATERS...WHERE LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING 
SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. THE LOW LEVEL FLOW NEAR OAHU IS ALSO 
TOWARD THE SOUTHWEST...AND THE LOW LEVEL FLOW SOUTH OF THE BIG 
ISLAND IS TOWARD THE WEST...ALTHOUGH LOW CLOUD MOTIONS INDICATE A 
LIGHT FLOW. A WEAK AND SMALL LOW LEVEL CLOUD CIRCULATION 
OVER WATERS ABOUT 100 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF WINDWARD MAUI IS 
AFFECTING THE LOW LEVEL FLOW IN THAT AREA...WITH RELATIVELY LIGHT 
AND VARIABLE WINDS OVER WATERS NEAR MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. 

SKIES ARE PARTLY CLOUDY OVER THE BULK OF KAUAI...WITH CU THE PRIMARY 
LOW CLOUD TYPE. THE LEADING EDGE OF THE BULK OF LOW CLOUDS TO THE 
NORTHEAST IS ABOUT 65 MILES NORTHEAST OF WINDWARD KAUAI. THE ENTIRE 
SOUTHERN HALF OF OAHU...AND ADJACENT NEAR SHORE WATERS...IS UNDER 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST CU AND SC...WITH FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS 
CURRENTLY OVER THE NORTHERN HALF OF OAHU. MOST ISLAND AREAS OF MAUI 
COUNTY ARE CLOUDY THIS AFTERNOON...INCLUDING THE SUMMIT OF 
HALEAKALA...EXCEPT LEEWARD MOLOKAI...WHERE SKIES ARE MOSTLY SUNNY. 
ALL OF THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND...UP TO ABOUT 10 THOUSAND 
FEET...ARE COVERED IN OVERCAST SC AND CU...IN SHARP CONTRAST TO 
THIS MORNING/S SUNNY SKIES. SOME SMALL BREAKS IN THE OVERCAST CLOUD 
COVER ARE SEEN OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
NEAR CAPE KUMUKAHI...HILO AND HAKALAU. 

THE MASS OF SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS TO THE NORTHEAST IS ABOUT 125 MILES 
ACROSS NORTH TO SOUTH...AND IS ABOUT 350 MILES WIDE WHEN MEASURED 
FROM WEST-NORTHWEST TO EAST-SOUTHEAST. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A CLOSED LOW ALOFT CENTERED ABOUT 100 
MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...WITH A NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED TROUGH EXTENDING FROM 26N149W TO 12N156W. THE LOW HAS BEEN 
NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS. AN ANTICYCLONE ALOFT IS 
CENTERED ABOUT 375 MILES WEST OF KAUAI...WITH THE END RESULT BEING A 
NORTH TO NORTHEAST FLOW ALOFT OVER THE ISLANDS. FAR SOUTH OF THE 
ISLANDS...ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS REMAIN DISORGANIZED WITHIN THE NEAR 
EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND CONVERGENCE ZONE. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.